Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft mods on 6in springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gritdog, Apr 16, 2002.

1. gritdog

gritdog Registered Member

after installing front 6in lift springs with driveshaft spacer,(78 Chevy) I am still having driveshaft rotation problems....Popping,binding.
    Is it standard practice to remove "lugs or stops" from around
    the u joint area? Any other mods that may help?

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

is you driveshaft a fixed yoke output style or a flange mount?

3. gritdog

flange mount at trans. side

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

if it is the flange you can take a die grinder/dremel/angle grinder and remove the yokes where it binds. i would not recomend getting carried away, otherwise you can get the ball to leave the socket (so to say). anyway, when i had my 6" lift, i ground mine untill it hung about 4 inches below the diff and never ran into any problems. you may want to find a 3 degree shim for the front axle, it will help out the angle on your lower ujoint. good luck,

5. gritdog

Thank you for help ! I was wondering about using a shim but was not shure.

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

first off do you have the tcase lowered? If you do this hurts the drive shaft angle up front. What degree shim do you have in? Also I would recomend lengthening the shaft or a 1" d-shaft spacer from Superlift. I have one of these on my 6" lift, w/ 2 degree shims, and NO tcase lowering and mine works great.

7. gritdog

I did lower the tcase and found the the angle was going up on the front. After thinking about it, I though thats not going to help. However, I found most people do lower the tcase. I think I will try the shim. I already have the spacer for the drive shaft. I also found that the people who sell these kits are not much help !!

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

lowering the tcase is a fix for helping out the rear driveline angles since that is used most of the time at higher speeds on a daily driver. I went with a CV shaft in the rear specfically to avoid a problem up front. 4 degree shims are the recoemnded degree for a 6" lift wit tcase drop.

Look at you u-jt angle... if you don't have binding in the CV up front then it is the u-jt angle causing your problems and a shim will help.

9. gritdog

Thanks, I lowered the tcase with the stock spacers and I plan to add a shim today. With the driveshaft spacer and a little help from the grinder the drive shaft will spin by hand now. Once again thanks to everyone for the help.
    Gritdog Rock Hill,SC

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

After I put 6" springs on the front of my K5 I had a problem with the CV joint rubbing the crossmember.Have you looked at that?

11. gritdog

No, I over looked that. I was to busy looking at the driveshaft. However, I will be back under it this weekend and I will check it out.