Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft Movement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Aug 30, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have been reading what everyones comment about testing the 4wd, I crawled under mine in 2hi and can only spin the front driveshaft 3/4 of a turn, when I put it in 4lo I can't spin it at all. Does this mean something is wrong, I still get 13-14mpg from home to work so I never really thought much of it, now I am worried. It still has the stock auto hubs as well, haven't changed them yet seeing as my wife will kill me if I don't stop putting more stuff on my Blazer, hehe.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

With the hubs unlocked and in 2HI, you should be able to turn the driveshaft all the way around. It should spin freely.

But in 4 lo, you are correct, it shouldn't move at all.

Do you have manual hubs?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. It shouldn't move in 4lo like Mike said. If you check the 2hi after you've been playing with the 4wd, you need to do the reverse for 20 feet maneuver (or whatever the number is) to make sure the auto hubs disengage. 13-14 mpg for a 350 really isn't all that bad. I don't think it would be that high if your 4wd is not disengaging. Just a thought.

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If you have auto hubs and spin the front shaft it is just like putting t-case in 4 wheel and the hubs will lock. Jack up the front of the truck and do this and the tires will spin. Also if the hubs are locked and the t-case is in 2-hi there isn't too much more drag so mpg would'nt go down that much. My 89 would do this too. Hope this helps.

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

This is only with auto hubs, manual hubs of course will let front spin free in 2 hi.