Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft Parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Oct 18, 2003.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

My front driveshaft has devolped some serious play in the slip joint, and none of the auto parts shops around here seem to be able to sell me any parts to fix it. O'Reilly's has a remanufactured for $190, but I'm really short on cash right now.
    The u-joints are all in good shape, so I'm not sure I want to go that route, anyways. Has anyone here pulled one of these apart? What is involved? Is there any place to get the parts to fix it?
    Thanks in advance...

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the slip joint is worn out your best bet would be to find a good used one. post in the parts wanted section.....

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

on the short end there is a collar thing that is a royal pain to get off. took a ceareful pipewrnch for mine. spin iy off and there is a bushing that will slide out with the . this can be bad but most likelyi its the splines. take it to your local driveshaft shop and have em fix it. it will be much cheaper than 190.00 it will be obviou real quick if you can fix it once apart. also look in the for sale forum

69k5

4. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I'm hoping it is the bushing. There isn't any play in it if I spin it. The best way I can desccrbe it is by saying that the driveshaft droops. I can wiggle it up and down.
    The main reason that I want to fix it myself is that, in Southern Illinois, there really aren't any places to get work like that done. The closest shop that does decent work wants $300 to do the work, since they insist on replacing the u-joints, also (they haven't even seen it, so they have no idea whether the u-joints are in good shape or not)
    Posting in the parts wanted forum might not be too much help, since I don't know of any members in this area, and shipping won't be cheap.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Though this is not a good thing, mine has been like that for a while and it still works /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif You should pull it apart and check if the splines are worn on the slip yoke. If the slip yoke splines are worn and the splines on the driveshaft are ok, you should be able to buy a new slip yoke.

You can also check junk yards for used drivelines, and if you have a non c/v driveshaft than any driveline that uses the same size u-joints could be used, as long as it is as long or longer than your current shaft. If it is longer it is generally pretty cheap to have it cut down and balanced, should be well under $190 total. If you have a c/v joint shaft, you will probably need to find a direct replacement.

I am no expert on this, like I said mine is like yours and I am driving on it still, but I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif