Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazyhole812, Jan 19, 2007.

1. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

My truck has 52" swap with 2" lift springs. It has 7 1/4" shackles. It has about 5 1/2"- 6" of lift with my zero rates i machined 6* to correct the caster. I also have 14" travel shocks, so it should flex pretty well. i'm trying to figure out what to do about a drive shaft. My question is, do i need to rotate the pinion up for a cv shaft? i'm sure this has been discussed before. but i was wondering if anybody that has a similar set up could tell me what they went with. thanks guys

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you should have closer to 7" lift unless your leaf springs are sagging. what you got, 6* shim should be fine for the cv

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

You should be fine running the stock type CV. Especially if you fixed the caster to match the stock angle.

Another option I'm considering is running a long shaft I have without CV and use the Tom Woods Superflex joint. But that joint isn't for a truck that is going to see speeds much over 40mph in 4wd. Some can't go over 20mph without horrible vibes.

I used a protractor and did some estimating on the amount of droop I might see. Based on the angles I found, I shouldn't exceed the rated angle for a 1310, so I don't think I'm going to mess with the Tom Woods joints. Unless I find binding issues otherwise on the trail. I am going to run without a CV.

Sounds like you may have an inch or two more lift than I, so your results may be different.

I've decided to build an RTI type ramp so I can test things out and see if I need to make changes.

4. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

sorry i forgot to mention that i have an 87 3/4 ton which i believe sat a little higher than the blazers when it was stock. ??? i think. i was planning on getting my shafts from tom woods. thanks guys