Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft removal ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jun 15, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey guys, i have a 88k5 with np208 and i want to take the front driveshaft off because its currently against the y-pipe. what do i have to do to get it off? do i have to do anything to keep fluid from coming out when im driving? thanks

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There are (4) bolts on the t-case flange that I think are 5/8".. Then there are (4) bolts on the axle end that are 7/16"... Remove all eight and pull the shaft. No fluid will leak...

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so i dont need to put something over it when im driving?

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

No, just take out the shaft and drive. If you need the shaft to stay still when you turn your wrench just lock you hubs or put the t-case in 4 wheel drive, this will keep the front d-shaft from turning when you try to loosen the bolts.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fix the problem - don't take the shaft off. I got a small bend from Autozone, cut out a section and welded in the bend. Very simple and cheap, minimal welding skills required. It gave me about 1 1/2" of clearance between the shaft and the pipe. Just cut the pipe so that the cutout section is shorter than the bend and when you fit the bend in, your problem is solved for about $5 and 30 mins.