Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front driveshaft rubs on x-member

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, May 3, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

After my Th350 swap in my blazer which I had to use a flat x-member in place of the W shaped stock one my front CV is making contact with the x-member. Not really bad like binding up, just a tick tick tick. How should I clearance this grind the CV or the X-member? If the X-member how? do I just grind a notch in it where it hits or? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I cut out where mine rubbed with a torch.I only cut out a small rectangle out.I prolly could have ground it down but I wanted to be extra sure I only had to screw with it once /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Try replacing the transmission mounts. Chances are they're old and tired. I gained 5/16" of room when I replaced mine.

4. MTBLAZER89

The mounts are brand new. I did the swap last month /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

My shaft does the same thing only a little more than a tick. Plus the skidplate needs a little cut out also. I took the skidplate off to do that, but I don't want to pull the X-member so I guess I'll see if I can grind enough off.

6. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I added a 1" spacer to the flange of the CV joint. It pushed the joint far enough foward to clear it. I also needed a little extra length on my shaft but if you don't this could hurt the amount of slip in your yoke. I also had to grind the ears on the joint so it wouldn't bind because pushing it foward like that created more drive line angle.

Got the spacer from Rocky Mountain Suspension. Not the best fix but it works. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it must be a 241 problem. both trucks in the yard here that are running a 465/205 combo (shorter than a 350/241 i IRRC) have 3/8 to 1/2" clearence. if driveline angles arent a huge concern, id try spacing the tcase up slightly before cutting/grinding the xmember.

8. CyberSniper

Hmm...

Well, by putting the spacer in there you'd increase the angle of the CV joint quite a bit. I know with my 4" lift my CV doesn't have much bending left in it.

I tried lifting my transfer case up 1/2" a while back to try to gain some ground clearance for rocks. I gained some more vibrations so I dropped it back down. I'd lift the case up a 1/4" before I ground on the crossmember or put a spacer on the flange.

9. MTBLAZER89

OK how do I "safely" lidt the case, but not the x-member?

10. CyberSniper

I just put a piece of plate with two holes drilled in it between the transfer case adapter and the transmission rubbers.

11. MTBLAZER89

Cool Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif