Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft siezed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, May 12, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey,
    I need some ideas on freeing up my frozen front driveshaft.

I pulled it out of the plastic bags the previous owner wrapped it in before he tossed it in the bed for storage (why do people do this???). I pulled out the old u-joint, and was about to press in the new one, when I found the shaft will not telescope at all. The grease fitting actually stops the grease gun, I guess because it's packed with grease or whatever. I had it standing up in a vise for 5 days with Liquid Wrench around the tube, and have beat the crap out of it, but no good. I would try a vise to compress it, but I have nothing remotely that size. Currently, it's standing in the garage with my come-along wrapped end to end around it, cranked down tight enough to tapdance on, but I think the strap on that has too much stretch ability to really help at all.
    Anybody ever have this happen? How do I get it compressing again?? I can't afford a new driveshaft, and I'm going nuts on my 2nd week owning the truck and still never having it in 4wd!!

I think this happened from the PO wrapping it up so tight, trapping any water in it and rusting it solid. I'd bet he took it out-of-service to stop vibration from one auto-hub being stuck, too, instead of changing the hubs... Putting Warn manual hubs on next week...

BTW, thanks for the responses to my other posts, y'all!

Ratch
    I could swear there was a trail around here... Right around where those new condos are...

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

That doen't sound good. The splines may have twisted and seized. My brothers did that in his K30. Over time and lack of grease, the splines wear against themselves and get thinner and thinner. Then you put some serious torque on them and they twist together and lock up. Or it's rusted bigger than life. If you have a NP203, I would guess the splines wore and twisted. Sorry dude. You can have the splined part cut off and replaced and use the same u-joint holders and drive shaft tube. It should be cheaper that way.

[​IMG]

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Bummer, but deep inside, I kinda figured something like that... A new front shaft is $200 at autozone, and wife will kick my ass if I spend that much right now (I've already spent a couple hundred more than I said I would on gas and just making it inspectable). But for whatever I'd spend rebuilding this one, it might be worth it to just get a new one... In 3 months when I can afford it... Junkyard hoppin' time.

Ratch
    I could swear there was a trail around here... Right around where those new condos are...

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Before you buy one from AutoZone call Tom Wood or Hi-Angle. For a little more you can get a lot better shaft. Mine was seized from too much salt. I got a new one from Tom Wood's Custom Driveshaft. http://4xshaft.com/

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

There is probably nothing wrong with your shaft. They freeze up when they don't get proper lubrication. This happened to my shaft.

Here's what I did to fix it:
    Put the slip yoke in a bench vise, but not tight. You want to be able to move it up and down. Pick it up a little, and slam the yoke down on the vise jaws. Do this repeatedly, until it frees up. It may take a few hits, but it should come after a bit of framming, and it won't hurt the yoke.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Have you been able to get any greae into that fitting?? If not, try swapping it to a different fitting and lubing it. You could also try pulling the fitting and shooting some PB Blaster into the fitting hole, so it gets right at the splines. Hopefully it's just rusted, and not twisted. Good luck! All else fails, try the BFH. What's the worst that happens, it doesn't work??? [​IMG]

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, it's been strapped down soaking in liquid wrench for 2 days, and hasn't budged. I will try to slam it into the vise, but I don't know if that will help, I was hammering the crap out of it before I strapped it down. The grease fitting is wierd. I can push the ball in with a paper clip, but no grease comes out. If I use the grease gun, it actually feels jammed, as if it was stuck (it's not though, it works fine everywhere else). The fitting doesn't look removable, there're no notches or anything for a wrench, and I can't twist it off with Vise grips. It's lookin' like this thing is dead.

Ratch

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

This is how I knew mine was seized: put on 4" springs, went to hook up front shaft and it wouldn't reach; Next I beat on it near the yoke, no help; Then undid the case end & hooked up the axle end so I could hammer on the flange. That didn't help either; One last try, unhook the spring, reinstall the shaft. Here's the fun part, put a come-a-long from a front tow hook to the axle and start cranking. I stopped when I heard bad metal noises. The splines never moved. Moral of the story: Don't drive in the ocean!

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

9. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

Were you able to get the screwon cap that holds the ruber seal in the drive shaft where the splines go in? If you haven't taken that off yet, you will need to, and then you maybe able to beat it apart. Or take it to a drive shaft shop and let them get it apart.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

10. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

When you are ready for a new one call Jess at High Angle Driveline. He makes awesum driveshafts for great prices and he is also one of us on this baord. He has a 64 Chevy truck body on a Blazer frame. Here is his Web Site. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.highangledriveline.com>http://www.highangledriveline.com</A>

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]