Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft turning when in 2wd??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have a NP205 and a Dana44 with Lock Right and Warn Premium hubs. Now, my front driveshaft is still spinning slightly when I drive down the highway at 60 MPH. Is this normal? Of course, its in 2wd and hubs are unlocked. Does it have something to do with the transfer case not disengaging the front output or is it coming from my front end? When its in 2wd, engine not running, in 1st gear (manual tranny), and hubs unlocked, you can grab the front shaft and spin it freely, so Im positive its unlocked.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

2. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

called "free spin" around these parts...happens all the time, dont worry

[​IMG]Mash Out![​IMG]
    82 Blazer 1 Ton "Big Nasty"
    78 Jimmy 3/4 Ton
    <font color=red>"Red Dawg" </font color=red>

3. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

i have a 4 speed, 205, d60 and mine does it...my friend has a th 350, 205, d60 and his does it too..

[​IMG]Mash Out![​IMG]
    82 Blazer 1 Ton "Big Nasty"
    78 Jimmy 3/4 Ton
    <font color=red>"Red Dawg" </font color=red>

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

It just trunning from drag on the hubs and the gears in the t-case. This is why even with all the hub on free and both the 203 rang box and the 205 in netral I put the 4500 in gear when towing I can see the front axels shaft still turnning and the rear drive shaft does also. not fast and mainly when the oil is cold !

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I take this as a GOOD thing! Cuz that your front is "free spinning" from the rest of your drive train spinning would indicate you have no binding or added friction to your front drivetrain!! Mine also will do this but intime after goin down the Hwy and heating things up the free spin does decrease.
    I like to keep my dust boot for the xfer case shifter unscrewed so I can watch my front driveshaft while rollin down the road or wheelin out on the trail....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Mine does that also. I have argued with many people about this around here. They kept telling me that I have a fulltime t-case because my stuff was spinning. I said they dont make a fulltime 208..... They couldn't figure out why it would spin when I was in 2wd.
    To prove it was "free spinning" to them, I had to get out on a hill and leave it in drive, then crawl under it and spin the front shaft with my hand.

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Mine also... i like to think it's keep's things loose.. Ya don't use it ya loose it.. right? [​IMG]

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

This is normal, the 205 seems to be the most common one to do it on GMs. I don't know if it is due to the gear oil or because it's all gear. As long as you can grab the shaft and spin it by hand when you are stopped (2wd &amp; hubs unlocked, of course) I wouldn't sweat it.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>