Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front driveshaft wont stop spinning

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Nov 14, 2005.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Hey I've got an 86 chevy with an np205 transfer case. When I'm in 2wd on the street or wherever, the front driveshaft wont stop spinning unless theres force against it(like if I stick a bar down there. theres a hole there in the floorboard). The cv joint on the transfer case end has play in it and needs to be rebuilt but that shouldn't make it freespin down the highway lol Any ideas?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

hubs engaged?

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I think they all do that. If you have one out of a truck, put it into 2Hi, and spin the input, the front output will spin also. If you hold the front output and continue to spin the input, the front output will stop with minimal resistance. My NP205 and my NP202 both do this.

4. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Well I dont think mine ever did this before but maybe it always did and I just notice it now because the shaft makes noise wobbling around because of all the play in it. Anyone have the part number for a rebuilt kit for the front chevy stock cv?

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

The 205s just do that. When the front shaft's gear is disengaged it is very close. The spinning oil slung by the other gears creates a paddle wheel effect and pushes the front shaft a little. Like you said, any resistance will stop it easily because it's not a mechanical connections. Don't worry about it, just praise the 205 for it's beefy awesomeness! :bow:

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

All t-cases will do this. It just means that the bearing are in good shape and everything is nice and free in there.
    My 208 does it also.