Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nerraw117, Feb 28, 2005.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

well guys here is my problem, i have a 85 K5 350, 203 (with part time), and th350, 3/4 ton 10 bolt front with a 14 bolt ff rear. my front driveshaft is shot, as in the splines are toast in in and you can move move it around from side to side with no problem. do you think i should try and find one fro ma junk yard, try and get the splines put on there? or jsut break down and get a high angle driveline, which is my last resort (i will get one later, just not now) im trying to get it running fast

any help?

2. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

id say find a good one from a junkyard and rebuild it until u want the high angle. another option might be to take ur driveshaft to a shop and have them re spline it. im not sure the cost. just another option. friend of mine is having the same problem.

3. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

well only problem people tell me is my driveshaft now is too long or too short or something, and it will be hard to find one that will fit the 203 and the tranny and tranfer case (i dont know much about this stuff)

4. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

if u cant find one id suggest trying to get a new spline put on same length or shorter or longer whichever u need. a high angle is mighty expensive. do u wheel alot? if u dont its kinda wasteful.

5. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

well this rig is about 80% wheeling, 20% driving, do you have any clue on price of new plines being put on?

6. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

Did you lose the splines because the lift makes the driveshaft to short? Try looking for a front shaft out of any gm with a th400/np203 I`m swapping to one now,and they seem to run about 3" longer. If that`s two long, a driveshaft shop can shorten it for like $50.

7. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

no i dont have splines because they are worn down to nothing