Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by otisringle, May 25, 2006.

1. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

I need to get a new front driveshaft. The one I have now is shot. About how much are these suckers and is there any brand better then others. Im going in the morning to pick one up. Dont wanna be suprised on the price.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most driveshafts are not "off the shelf" items you can just go pick up somewhere. Good driveline places IMO would be either Tom Woods, or High Angle Driveline. Pricing can run up to a grand or so...although that's a pretty extreme shaft. $300 seems to be the right neighborhood for a stockish shaft...

Getting the shaft you have now repaired is probably going to be the most cost effective thing though. Front shafts often wear out the slip joint...which isn't that expensive to fix. Even a re-tube isn't that spendy.

You will have to supply them with measurements though, so have a tape measure handy.

Rene

3. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I paid 440 for both of mine, my rear drive shaft is a CV unit. Both are bitch and balanced and made by a company in Phoenix Az. They are brand new for now se we shall see how long they hold together, but for the price I am QUITE satisified.

~Brian

4. otisringle

ohh boyyy. I was hoping this would be a easy and cheap fix.....

would it be a good idea just to get a factory replacement or an aftermarket one.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what do you have tranny/tcase/axles? or the length of the one you have now?

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I basically used a junkyard special $75 shaft... and yes it is holding up to the detroit locker, 4.56's, 40" hawgs.. and the revved up clutch drop in the mud :bow:

I will probably get bashed on this but to me if ya gotta spend that kind o dough on a shaft.... $400+ that is a tad obserd.... I can get a brand new shaft made down here for about $200-$250.... I want to go talk to those guys to get a bigger slip part and it wont be over $250.....

7. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

If we knew what year it was and how muck lift it would help- Jess

8. otisringle

its a stock 1990 k5. This truck will be with me a long time, so after college I will be lifting it and making it worthy of some mud and rocks.

9. otisringle

well I went to the chevy dealership to see if they had any. 880 bucks for one, I think I will be rebuilding mine.....

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Dude, if you just want a stock setup, go to a driveline shop in your town. $2-300 for a new shaft, less than that for a rebuild of what you have I'd imagine. Where do you live?

11. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

I'd rebuild a stock one for ya for 179.00 no core- Jess

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Take yours off and head down to the JY. Find one that matches it and doesn't have any slop in the slip and go for it. I have done this twice now and haven't had any problems. I also only paid $50.

If you don't have access to any decent yards I would def take Jess up on that offer, that's a good price.

13. otisringle

does sound like a good price... but in two days im heading back up to the bitter north or humboldt county. My mechanic knows a place in oakland where I could get it rebuilt, just gonna do that when I come home in a month or so... no wheeling for a month..ehhhh