Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front driveshaft ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I lifted the front of my 81 sub 3" with hd tuff country springs (removed the steering stab.). I was wondering if my stock front driveshaft will be able to handle the lift? I am swaping in a 14blt rear and will be getting an after-market driveshaft so it will be a true "1 ton" from the tcase back and I don't want to change the front dshaft untill I can get a dana60 and can make the front "1 ton". So any answers would be great. In case it maters my sub is a 81 k10 3" front lift, 4" rear lift, 350eng, 350tran., 208 (slipyoke) tcase and the front isn't locked.

2. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Should be ok , I know guys that used stock driveshafts with 6" lift .
    Just have to make sure there is enough spline engagement on the slip yoke when at full droop so they don't seperate.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you get someone that has done exactly what you did that responds, great! :)

If not, I just did some driveshaft fitting (or attempted fitting) last night. Measure from the t-case flange to the center of what would be the u-joint cap in the front axle yoke. Measure the length of the shaft *halfway extended*. If that is close to the first measurement, it should fit. This isn't going to be exact, you would always want to check to make sure you aren't maxing it out either at full stuff or droop.

I *ASSuME* half of allowable travel is about where you want a driveshaft to sit with the vehicle sitting on flat ground.

Any chance you can post what your driveshaft length is fully compressed, and how much travel it has?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Front shaft will handle the lift no problem. But you may have to drop the xfer case to get the best angles.
    Also should grind off the stops. Read bottom half page 2 on this link:http://www.roughcountry.com/install/145S.pdf

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running 6" with a TH400/241 and original shaft with no problems.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You should be fine. I have 4.5" lift on my truck upfront with no problems. Mine is an 85 K5 with 700R4/208.

Harley

7. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick responces everybody! dyeager535 I did the same measuring you are talking about. I measured from flange to yoke and then took my dshaft and pulled it 1/2 apart and measured and it was about 1.5 inches longer so I should be cool. Great minds think alike! lol And thanks thunder for the link about grinding off stops I did not know about that.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

85 K10 Burb, 4" TC EZ, (aly heads, intake, water pump), TH350, NP208. I haven't checked extension yet, but I'll follow this thread's directions, to check you understand. Clearanced the CV Cardan last night. Only takes about an hour, D-shaft out of truck. No need to disassemble the U-joints, (right angle disc). :D