Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rocky91, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

I have a 1991 K5 Silverado. When getting it ready for winter my dad noticed it has to much play in the front driveshaft. I belive it is the solid yoke type, it is a two piece driveshaft. I know the two pieces are suposed to move in and out, but mine can also move about 3/4" in any direction. I assume it is normal wear since the truck has 230,000 miles with no work ever been done on the 4x4 system. The question is, can this be fixed or does it require a new driveshaft? It seems like a straight forward swap, but are there any tricks/tips I should know about changing the shafts? Thanks for any help.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Not to sure on the shaft. By the sounds of it if it is moving at the slip part 3/4 it sounds shot. It is easy to change, just make sure not to over torque the bolts on the u joint.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

BTW the front shaft is a CV shaft. The CV is up at the transfer case.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>