Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front drums to disk whats involved

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Oct 14, 2002.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

so my buddy got a 69 2wd pickup with front drums but would like to convert to disk. how can he do this, i'm assuming he will ne to install a new MC with a booster what else and what to use any info would be great

2. 70_K5

70_K5 Registered Member

i beleave you need a proportioning valve and front spindles also, plus new brake lines... no sure (on the brake line) if they are mandatory but could not hurt

3. littlebubba

littlebubba 1/2 ton status

The easiest is find a truck 70-72 with front discs and use all the parts from it. checkout www.67-72chevytrucks.com

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Find a 2wd truck from 71-87 and unbolt the whole front suspension. It comes off as a unit. Pretty well a bolt on. Only need to drill about two holes. I would also go to the trouble to modify the brakes to accept a later model master and booster. They are MUCH cheaper and easier to get. Robzilla was chassing problems on his 72 and had to lay down some serious cash to get a proportioning valve and booster. The boosters on the early trucks were not as powerfull as the later models. It does take modifications but it can be done. Best bet is to pull the whole assembly off the fire wall of a newer truck with the brackets and modify as needed. Also get the rod from the peddle to the booster. It's a different length and that will give you enough parts to make one. Use the newer proportioning valve and I would run new hard lines for at least the front if not the whole truck. 33year old lines are probably questionable.
    You could proably go to a junk yard and get them to hack off a frame right at the fire wall and get the proportioning valve front susupension complete with spindles, hubs, newer close ratio box, front lines, sway bar and drag links for $150. All the 80's trucks should have the close ratio box but you might run into some line problems with his power steering box (if it even has one).