Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end alignment (ballpark measurement)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Savage, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Savage

Savage Registered Member

I am building a Chev 10 bolt & installing it, wondering if someone on this forum knows the correct pin to pin measure of the tie rod so I could get it together well enough to drive it down to the alignment shop. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks for any help you can offer. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Savage /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I am far from my truck now but the way I do it, I measure from inner sidewall to inner sidewall in the front of the tire and then in back of the tire, and I try and get them to about a 1/4" narrower in the front (toe in) and everytime I go to align them they tell me that it's right on or it only needed one degree of correction.
    It usually takes me a couple of tries, 2 turns each time and check.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Do what he said. I've been doing my own alignments for about a year and they are always better than a shop's alignments

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you want a ballpark to what it should be measure the inside from the top of the tire sinse this should not change. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Savage

Savage Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks guys, I was looking for an easy solution, like a measure from grease nipple to grease nipple, so I could of just adjusted it once without having to take it off & on several times. In the past I have used the same technique suggested in your replies to set the front end with good results. I intend to record the measurement this time inside the cover of my service manual for future reference! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Savage /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif