Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end clatter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dunc03, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I let my rig cost down a hill tonight with the engine off and I noticed this nice clanking with the rotation of the wheels coming from the front end. I have recently (within the past 6 monthes) replaced the bearings in the spindle, the cone shaped ones. It sounds like the bearing on the shaft might be bad, but it shouldn't being rotating unless it is in 4 wheel drive should it. My understanding is that with automatic hubs, unless the shifter is engaged that the front axle assemble doesn't rotate, is this correct.

I know its not one of the hubs locking while the other is unlocked I've had that happen and this sound is not as loud. Its like it a jerking with the rotation of the wheels. You can't actually hear it with the engine on, and I always thought the jerking were bumps. Its not really that noticable when your going down the road, but I have a feeling its not good.

Like i said earlier, my first thought is the axle bearings, or maybe the u-joints, but then again none of that stuff is supposed to move unless in four wheel drive, or at least I think its not.

Help me out here guy, I'm kind of at a lose. Let me know whether or not the axle is rotating with the hubs unlocked and the shift in 2wd, and also any ideas on wat this might be. Thanks for hte help in advance.

Rig info: Stock 10 bolt axle with stock automatic hubs and NP 208 transfer in a 86 K5. Thanks again

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

can you describe the noise a little better? Could it be a rock in the backing plate? Hubs not unlocking all the way? Wire or something wrapped around end of axle? Hard to take a guess w/o actually hearing the sound...

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

it not a noise so much as a feeling. The noise is a like a clunkwhen the tires are rotating. IT feels like someht9ing in the front end. it is rythmic so I know it something in the axle. It also not the sound of a light weight metal clatter it more of a heavy metal sound like when your ujoint goes out, but not thta loud.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Could be your auto hubs When mine went out they would clatter then bang and jerk when they were trying to lock up all by them selves /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Could be your auto hubs

[/ QUOTE ] Good reason to convert to manual hubs. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif