Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end help!.... on Dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

How do you know if your output shaft on a Dana 44? I'm having a problem with mine and need to know what to look for..... When I turn to the right my front end feels like it's hoping or folding under every once in a while. Any ideas....

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Is it in 4x4 or 2wd ? Does it feel like the tire/rim is coming off the truck ?

Mine did that to the left a couple years back , felt like I was going to lose the whole wheel like it was folding under the truck on turn . Ended up being rod ends , so I had them all replaced :k5: :k5:

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

In 2wd and unlocked. Yah it feels like it is going to fold under.. By rod ends, what do you mean? Just tie rod ends......

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't know which one , it was when I lived in an apartment and had no time , nor place to do it .

I took it to Kelley Clark on Val Vista and Broadway and they replaced every single rod end and adjuster since they were all original , told me my ball joints were fine , aligned it and it has been fine for over 2 years and untold number of flex sessions . I of course will do it myself next time .

I assume it was a tie rod end since a draglink end would make the steering wheel funny and sloppy all the time , and since it tracked straight once rolling :k5: :k5:

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Thanks Paul... I was dumbfounded by it.... I'll replace the Tie rod ends and see it that helps.... Might even do the drag link rod ends at the same time.....