Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end noise.. Non truck related but still GM

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok heres the deal, my g/f wanted to have lunch with me because she got out of class early today, so I hop in her car 99 grand am GT and we start going then arround 15-20mph I hear a rotational hum sound(she cant hear it, but I can). The best way I can describe the sound is when a TSL/bogger is going about 5-10mph but with less vibration, and a lot quieter. The hum stays the same volume up to 60-70 where road noise takes over and I can not hear it that well. Now when she had it in the shop 3 weeks ago for new tires, I told them to check over everything/preventative maintence.(I useually would have done this but it was snowing at the time and they were going to have it on a lift anyways.) They said everything is in good shape no worries. Now I'm going to go check it out but does anyone have any Ideas on what it could be? Wheel bearing?? or CV's. Its comming from the front and its not engine related because I reved it and the noise is not there. I can not feel any vibes or play in the steering so I'm kinda stumped. Well I guess I'm just going to go see what it is before it gets to dark.

2. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

it needs a front hub most likely i work at a gm dealership and we replace a ton of those. see if the noise changes when u take a turn it should get louder when u turn one direction and quieter when u turn the other.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

does it change when turning?
    sounds like a wheel bearing, in the front, the CV shaft hides that its loose because it holds its together. on my cousins taurus, his was about the same, except that i could hear it when i was on the phone with him going down the road. we jacked the tire up and it felt tight, felt like the CV shaft till i took the nut off, then the hub preaty much fell off.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok I dont have to tools I need to take the hub /wheelbearing off. but the CV seemed tight. But what I am affraid of is that there is some sort of fluid sprayed all over the passenger side. It seems to becoming from the Transmation output seal on that side. How hard are these to replace?? Its not like a crazy loud noise its very small but I suspect it will get louder. And it doesn't get louder/ go away when turning. The car needs to travel approx 1k before I can get it money/ and have time and space to work on it. Do you think I can make it?? I also checked the ps fluid and its low so I'm not sure if thats the leak or not. but its on the same side. Gmtech, wtf is the tranny dipstick on this thing I can not find it anywhere

5. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

it most likelt has a 4t40 or 4t45 transaxle which means it doesnt have a dipstick the fill plug is on the top of the trans on the drivers side and the fill level plug is on the backside and it still needs 2 be checked while running