Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UrbanBlazer, Jan 18, 2001.

1. UrbanBlazer

UrbanBlazer Newbie

I have a few of things I'm worried about. First, when my K5 has sat for a long time, the steering sticks in that one place. It brakes free, but it's not normal. Second, I noticed a squeek when steering. It sounds like it's coming from underneith somewhere. Finally, bumps & pot-holes make the front end rattle. Any ideas what may be wrong?

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>I had problems with bumps and such then I found out one of the front shock bushings was real bad, I have recently put new shocks on and the problem has gone away. I'd check all your front bushings, they're probably dry. My Blazer has been sitting for a long time too, but haven't noticed anything with the steering.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads truck w/PS does this when you first start it up..like manual steering. Then all of a sudden it's like it kicks in, and you are fine from then on while driving it. His was run dry more than a few times. (he was too lazy to fix the leak) Odd to me that it still works, just not correctly. You'd think they would fail. Must be in the pump somewhere, but I really haven't taken the time to inspect one to see what it is. When the thing stays in teh "manual" mode, thats when we'll fix it : )

The squeaks and such could be many things. bad shock bushings, bad swaybar bushings, polyurethane bushings, etc. Front end rattling could be worn steering components, ball joints, etc. Best thing to do is jack the truck up in the air and thoroughly inspect all components for looseness and wear. Also check that the frame is not broken where the steering box bolts, common on trucks driven hard. If 3/4 ton trucks have thicker frames, perhaps thats why my dads '74 never cracked, but he runs 33's on it, not hard offroad though. My '83 K5 likewise was not cracked, but again not wheeled hard, nor monster tires.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My front end rattled too balljoints on passenger side were gone, had about 1/4 inch of play. Replaced them last weekend noise is gone. Also lose shocks or bad shock or spring bushings will do this too.