Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front end problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Oct 1, 2001.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

The front end on my '84 is wondering bad. What should I look for to fix this?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

First make sure your steering has no play in it (or at least very little) by having a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth while you are under the truck looking at all the linkage. If there is slop in anything replace it. The next thing after that if the prob is still there would be a steering stablizer if you don't already have one (or check to see of yours is shot by inbolting one end and seeing if it has any restance when you push it in and out).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Then start checking bearings, ball joints, drag link and tie rod connections. To check the bearings and ball joints jack up that tire, put your jack stand under the axle and leave the jack under there, grab the tire like you mean business and try to wobble it up and down. Tie rod ends and drag link are trickier, one test is to take adjustable pliers or water pump pliers and squeeze them. If they compress much they are bad. You could also probably see play in them using the method mentioned above. Good luck!

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Check out this info to learn how to remove the "SLOP" from your steering box:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/boxmesh.shtml>http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/boxmesh.shtml</a>

I had the most success in tightening bolt in the pitman arm. The bolt had worked loose, and the arm would move up and down while steering (loosing LOTS of steering capability).

The only other sure fire way to find issues in your suspension is to have a buddy hop in the truck, and move the wheel left to right while you are checking all the components for slop. I was able to locate many issues in my suspension with this method.

Finally, the BEST way to fix this is to just install a new CROSS-OVER steering setup! After fixing my front susp. and breaking it again, I called ROCKSTOMPER and ordered the entire package for $550. No more problems here!

<font color=red>Just give me a tank, and point me in the right direction!</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>DONT MESS WITH AMERICA!</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Another thing to consider is poor alignment- a misaligned front end will cause lots of wandering. Out of whack toe-in is usually the culprit.......

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>