Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front end pull

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greenie, May 11, 2003.

1. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

I have an 89 k-5. I just put a 2" skyjacker suspension lift on. My problem now is that it drifts to the right, and I now have a brake pull to the right on initial hard braking. Any hints?

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Wow...Your first post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Welcome to ColoradoK5. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for your truck....It could be many things. Did you get it aligned after the lift? It could be brakes worn out, caliper sticking, wheelbearings, one tire with low pressure. If it pulls while normal driving and while braking..I would think it would be alignment related. After ya drive for ahile, get out and feel the front brakes, grab the hub, see if one is hotter than the other. If one is hotter, then a caliper is sticking. A front brake job is fairly easy and inexpensive. Might be something worth looking into. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Also....Fill out your profile so we know a bit about ya and your location. There's probably someone close to ya that would help ya out. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

First try crossing the front tires (left to right, right to left) - Tires may cause a pull, as they are not "Perfect".

A pull to the right may be due to the "crown" in the road. Roads are made with a slight tapper to the right inorder to clear standing water. A car will/might pull to that direction if not properly compensated for by decreaseing Caster on the left side.

If cross rotateing the front tires does not correct the condition, then have it aligned.

( a drift to the right AND a brake pull to the right, leads me to suspect it might be the tires. So, crossing the front tires would be the first thing I would do. Understand, it might be something else, tho'. )

5. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

No i did not get it aligned. I need to find a trustworthy alignment shop here in Glendale. Desert rat did an alignment for me about 6mths ago when they put in the new ball joints. This was before the lift, and did not ever set the steering wheel straight. The calipers rotors, and every thing in the front and rear brakes were done about a year ago.