Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end Q...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Dec 16, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Will it effect steering in any way when you are in 2wd? if you have locker or what not? Would it be better to spool the front or posi or auto locker? or leave it open?

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I put a lock-right in the front of my Jimmy. I would definatly recomend it to anyone. It doesnt affect steering as lond as you are in 2wd and the hubs are unlocked. If they are locked it makes it pull alot because of the different size axles. A front locker will take you more places then you have ever gone before. BE CAREFUL because if you are heavy on the throttle, turn the wheel, and start wheel hopping, you will break axles.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I ran a lincoln locker up front for about 3 months before I shattered my carrier after breaking several shafts and a hub or two and steering in 4wd is next to impossible without hydraulic assist.But the amount of traction you get is amazing and when I get my dana60 it will be locked up fromnt also,but now im running the hydrauilic assist so steering should be alt better!

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Its pretty easy to steer, just need a little extra muscle, and a good working steering system.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok heres the deal from my perspective. A locker up front has a few good and bad features off road.

Good
    -cant beat the traction
    -youll go everywhere others dont

bad
    -hard on parts
    -if it locks and your on a tight trail your gnna have trouble steering
    -hard to steer in general
    -if you ever leave your axles engaged on the street, just driving around turns into a hassle

So id say go for it. I like mine ive only gotten stucka few times and thats when my locker wouldnt even help. As long as you keep your hubs unlocked you should be ok on the street.

P.S. If you plan on driving this on a street do not permenantley lock it in any way (i.e. lincoln lock) youll hate it and it will take forever for you to turn anywhere

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What about Limited slips? Im planning on an Eaton LSD on the rear... should i consider one in teh front as well... i heard the new eatons are really good and use carbon fiber cluthes that reduce chatter alot and transfer torque under the most slipery conditons

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

It really depends on what type of wheeling you plan to do.If you plan to scale rocks with the greatest of ease than you will want a full locker but if you plan on the occasional rock or two and alot of mud and street or winter driving than limited slips work just fine

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

No rocks lol... more like weekend mud runin... trial riding, daily driver... is a lsd upfront good idea or waste of good money

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Eaton LSD's are non-rebuildable. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

10. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

The Eaton carbon clutch limited slip is rebuildable as well as adjustable. I am using one at this time and am very happy with it. These units dont work like the old posi units they are locked until a certain amount of pressure is applied then release, you can chose several points of pressure to have them let go. This will save a ton of grief if you are running a 10 bolt with 35 inch tires. Also they are torque sensitive, ie,,, they will release at low toque around a corner but will lock to the maximum level you have chosen when you throttle up.
    Ken

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazinobsession.com/>http://www.blazinobsession.com/</a>

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    WRONG
    Both the Eaton Gov-lock, and the Eaton four spring, are rebiuldable !

I think your thinking about the Auburn LSD's. Again Both Eatons are REBUILDABLE .

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yup, do your homework... the new eatons are rebuildable, and have carbon fiber clutches with reduce chatter and are adjustable!

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

13. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Also I hear it comes with bearings that are as strong as a 12bolt

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I run a Detroit up front and am quite pleased. In most circumstances, I run in 2WD but have my front hubs locked. It limits my steering some, but not too bad. In 4WD, it will take me anywhere. I don't do much rock crawling, but find it invaluable in very slick mud on hills, wet rocks, or in ravine crossings where a tire looses contact with the ground. I have heard (but don't know as I don't have one) that a limited slip looses its advantage if a tire completely loses contact with the ground. But, someone else will have to either confirm this or shoot it down.

If you have to completely rebuild the front to install the LSD (which I know you do with SOME), I would say go with a Detroit. Obviously, if money is no object, go with an ARB. Best of all worlds!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well a D60 detroit is what? $500 or so?
    ARB is $650?
    You need a air compressor or air source anyway, so the ARB forces you yo have OBA and selectability...just my very humble opinion

And just so i am clear, with the hubs unlocked, t-case in 2wd hi, there are no ill effects of having a detriot in the front axle?

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

16. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well i definately am getting the new eaton in the rear... it should help some all i do is mud and trails some climbing but mostly hills no rocks at all. Cuz i need to cahnge out the carrier and dont want a locker for daily driving. In the front however if it doesnt affect steering or anyhting in 2wd i might as well get a detroit... if my axle can handle it

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

17. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

In 2WD, with the hubs unlocked, there is NO ill effects with a locker in the front. In 2WD, the front driveshaft doesn't turn as a result of the engine. With the hubs unlocked, the axleshafts don't turn either. So, in 2WD with unlocked hubs, the axleshafts, gears, locker, and front driveshaft are all stationary. There is absolutely no impact on the locker and no way to even know it is there. Regardless of what kind of locker is installed.

If you have a D60 up front, I would go for the ARB. For the difference in price, it just makes more sense, IMO.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

18. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Ah, well, that's what I'd heard. It just makes sense that if you're going to blow $350 on an LSD and it'll wear out and you'll have to rebuild it and never acieve full-wheel lock up, it makes more sense to spend about $100 more to buy a Detroit and dump it in. Either that or take about 30 minutes and a welder...

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat