Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, May 23, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I noticed today that my front tires sit at a slight, almost non-noticable, angle. I noticed it when I was moving my mom's Lincoln so I could get my Jimmy out of the garage, well half of it anyway. The tires are sitting a little top-side-in. Like the axle is bent at the hubs. I have seen this on other trucks, but I was just wondering if the lifespan of my beautiful baby will be cut short if nothing is done to correct the problem. Input is greatly accepted. [​IMG]

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

2. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Well don't know what to say Fords do it due to the ifs you arent lying and own a bronco are you? just kidding it shouldn't be an axle b/c it would worry the crap out of you going down the road by shaking. Were both tires doing this b/c it may have been leaning and looked like it was tilting in on one side. All in all drive the crap out of it, if it isn't making noise shaking or driving funny don't worry about it until it breaks. Are you sure it isn't a bronco??.......

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps the k5 alive.

3. BLzr4x4ngkid

Yeah both tires are doing it. NO IT's NOT A BUNCO!! What do you mean by shaking........like, what characteristics are you specifically talking about?? I don't really want to drive and make it worse if there is a concern here. If there is a problem, then I would like to get it fixed immediately. Thanks

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

4. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

This is normal. It's called negative camber when the top of the tire leans inward, and it helps maintain a good tire contact patch when you are turning. As you turn, your K5 leans over on the outside tire, causing the outside tire to ride on its outside edge. This is bad for handling - the K5 would "push" or "understeer" if this was the case - sliding the tire and refusing to turn. Negative camber means the top of the tire is leaning inward a little, so when your K5 leans, the tire ends up being straight up and down, with the full width of the tire touching the road.

From what I've seen, the spindles create this camber for you. They are not straight, so when they're mounted the right way, they create neagtive camber. While temporarily re-assembling the front suspension on my '76 Blazer, I put one spindle on with the keyway pointing up, and the other on with the keyway pointing down. Guess what - one tire had negative camber, and the other had positive camber (top of the tire pointing outward). I can't remember whether keyway up or down is right to create negative camber, but I can look and see when I get home.

Did that make sense?

It is supposed to be that way for handling and tire wear reasons, and it only puts a slight angle on the axle U-joints. And if you have locking hubs, your axles aren't spinning on the highway anyway, so the slight axle angle has absolutley no effect on wear.

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

Made perfect sense Rich. Thanks, now I know not to worry. It's not a big lean, just a little one. I hardly even noticed it, but now that you say the tire is straight when turned, it is. I just thought about that, because I remember noticing it was like that when it was turned. Thanks a bunch man. [​IMG] Later

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)[​IMG]

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure there is no "camber" built into the spindles. If you put a spindle flat on a table, it should put straight up in any direction, which means they can be swapped left to right, and can be rotated on the knuckle and not make any difference. I may be wrong, but I've have never seen this type of reference in any manuals and I also talked to GM mechanic, and there is no index slot or offset holes which would require putting the spindle on a certain way.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

on my Dana44 front the spindels are not keyed nor do the effect camber in any way nor is one left or right!
    I have replace two sets of spindle bearings and don't recall any chage or spacific install issues dealing with the camber.I belive all camber comes from the axeal housing knuckel assymbly. On my Dana44 anyway......

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I think he meant it is built into the knuckles.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

9. BLzr4x4ngkid

Ok, the question is.........is this good or bad?? I'm just kind of curious, because I'm not in the mood to be tearing stuff up. Thanks [​IMG]

Alex
    Wichita, KS

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Personally, I'd feel safe calling it good. I looked at quite a few trucks w/solid (real) front axles at work today, including my own, and they've all got a little negative camber, like rich said. If I'm not mistaken, it's built into the yoke on the end of the axle tube that the steering knuckle bolts to, just like the caster angle (top of knuckle sits back a couple degrees from vertical).

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. BLzr4x4ngkid

Ok, thanks for your helps guys.

Alex
    Wichita, KS