Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front end question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jonski, Jan 11, 2004.

1. jonski

jonski Registered Member

I just got into the K-5 scene...so I am still new to everything and learing quick. I bought a 1988 Blazer that is stock but the guy had the leaf springs rearched and did the add-a-leaf, so he could put on 33's.

Anyway, under braking, the truck will pull to the right under braking mostly, drives pretty straight. You can visually see that the right front tire is towed out quite a bit. Would an alignment cure this or do you guess think it's something else. How do I know if the ball joints are bad? Would that cause tow out or would that change camber?

Thanks
    Jon

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check the ball joints by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and rocking the tire, you'll be able to fell if the ball joints are bad that way.

3. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

Could Be A Froze Up Piston In The Brake Caliper. Had That On My GMC. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. jonski

jonski Registered Member

checked all the brakes out when I got the truck...they were fine.

Will worn out ball joints cause the wheel to tow out? Or is it caused from the tie-rods? I thought the ball joints would cause a change in camber, not tow.

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

check the balljoints, then have an alignment done.. either way, they should check the balljoints and entire front end out when doing an alignment..

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

When you say that the right wheel is toed out do you mean with the steering wheel straight? Toe is proportanial (on k5s) if its out on one side then its out on the other. Camber will affect toe slightly. If the truck goes down the road straight I would check the brakes first. make sure your rears are properly adjusted. Then check your front brakes. Try swaping the pads from the passenger side to the drivers side does it pull the other way? IF so swap your pads. Are your rotors glazed on one wheel? Do your calipers slide properly and do the pistons work properly. IF all this is ok I would then look at the bushings in your springs. replaceing them fixed the pull in my k5.

7. jonski

jonski Registered Member

Thanks for the great info guys.

Jon