Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end?s (gears and diff)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Aug 18, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

alright as ive said before my buddys got a wrecked k5. its got gears and lockers front and rear, the rear end is fine but the front is bent. If i pull the cover and remove the whole center thingy ring gear diff locker EVERYTHING. can i just drop it into my front end or do i still have to mess with backlash and that kinda stuff? these are 10bolts

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

gears would need to be re-set up. u should also check the set-up before removing them from housing so that u can mimick that in your diff, so that u will not get roaring gears.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You will DEFINITELY need to know how to setup gears to do this. The swap is feasible, but you will ruin the gears and possibly the locker if you setup the gears wrong. There is a writeup on pirate on how to setup gears.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

personally, unless it's a fulltime FWD, i just get the fronts "close" i mean really,,,HOW often are you running the front diff, and when you are, HOW often are you running over 45mph??

for the rear,,,DEFINATELY get as perfect of a setup as you can

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Only getting the front R&P "close" can significantly reduce ring and pinion strength. Most people would immediatly think "who breaks ring and pinions on dana 44's or 60's?" The answer: not many, as long as they are setup right. What I'm trying to say here: setting up gears incorrectly will significantly reduce the longevity and strength of any gearset. Plenty of people have done this but I never would.