Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end seems to bind up, what could cause this? More details inside

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Oct 28, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Sometimes when I turn really hard left or right.. it seem's like the front end binds/lock's up.. like it's in 4 wheel drive,but it's not. (No smart ass remarks like: "Don't turn hard to the left or right"..) /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    The auto hub's were swapped out to an old "used" set of Warn manual hubs.. The auto hub's weren't as bad.. but they did the same thing..
    The manual hub's seemed to make it worse.
    The only way to un-bind the front suspension is to keep driving, turn hard, then it thunks hard then steer's fine.
    Any ideas? Anyone else run into this problem?
    I'm thinking of buying new "manual" warn premium hubs..
    Thanks in advance.

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

what you could do to check if it's your hubs is take them completely out. try turning and see if it still does it. or you could have someone take a look at your axle shafts to see if they are still turning while you move forward and turn.

sounds to me that the lockouts aren't completely disengaging.

ric

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A bad u-joint in one of the axle shafts can cause that. A really cratered one will bind when you turn the wheels. The axle shafts up front will slowly rotate as you drive, even in 2WD, with the hubs unlocked, just from friction. If the bad joint is in just the right position when you turn, then it will fight you.

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Harry and Bowtie..
    Harry.. that's exactly what the truck feel's like..
    I'll take a look at those U-joints..
    How hard are those to replace? will they have to be burned out due to the resin the factory put's in there to keep them in place.. ?

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

let me know when your going to do it...maybe we can do mine at the same time and make another beer party out of it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

MMMM beer...
    Hey Russell..
    question for ya..
    You said you don't like Light beer.. well you bought a 12 pack of Miller "LITE" beer last time you came over..
    what the !!!!! Just messing with ya... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    No problem.. wanna stop over tonight.. we're putting the lift and tires on the black/grey 89...

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifBut gotta be done for the new "24" series comes on.

7. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

what time? prob will at least stop by for a beer and some bs.

ps...the miller lite was for micah, prescott, and jeff. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif