Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front end ticking noise

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Looking for input on where to start. '72 w/ original drivetrain, lockout hubs. Whent light off roading recently and had to put it in 4 for 1 situation. Unlocked the hubs, and now there's a "tik, tik, tik" sound coming from up front. It's definitely not engine, I shut it off and coasted and the ticking still was there and the speed of the sound is directly related to "coasting" speed. It does go away when I re-lock my hubs. Is there something hanging up in there? Would more serious damage happen if I keep driving it? Thanks up front for the help!

2. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I had a similar symptom on my K/10 '67 Suburban. The front prop shaft was installed 90 degrees out of phase on the forward universal. Before I could figure out WTF it was, the assembly parted and dragged on the pavement at about 50 mph. I had to shell out about $200 to get it rebuilt. Get it looked at ASAP.

3. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

could be a bad u-joint out near one of the wheels. you might not hear it while under load (in 4wd) but in 2wd it might tick a bit. worth looking at.

4. Ressurection

A friend suggested my lockout is hanging up and that if I jack it up and roll the wheel back and forth and tap with a hammer it should break free. Or take out hub and re-grease. How does this sound?

5. Ressurection

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Hy hubs do that when they arn't all the way unlocked. Most of the time (so far) I have been able to just lock and onlock them a few times and it goes away. You might need some new hub parts.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if you jack it up and turn wheels by hand you should be able to figure which wheel its coming from.id pull the hubs apart regardless and clean up the hubs and lightly grease them.if they have too much grease they can actually stay locked up part way because the grease doesnt let the spring push the locking gear out all the way to disengage the hub.