Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front end wobble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by detailer03, Oct 15, 2003.

1. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

My 89 gets a front end wobble, this is way beyond tire balance etc. at about 35 to 40 mph. I have just a 2" suspension lift, all springs, new shocks and steering stabilizer. New drag link, tie rods, ball joints etc. They were all done within about the past year. I have 32 11.50 15. This wobble just started. I did however, have a slow leak in a tire and had to put some fix a flat in it, but I have used it before with out any adverse affects.
    After I drove for a while and things got warmed up, it went away. The tires are Remington wide brutes, not too aggressive. There appears to be no weird wear patterns in the tires and I rotated them about 300 miles ago.
    Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Have them re-checked for balance, tire out of round, and tire separation. If none of those are an issue, cross switch the fronts and see if it goes away. If the problem is still there, switch them from front to back. If that doesn't take care of it, you have bigger issues to figure out.

3. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Also check to make sure the rim is not rubbing the tie rod. Mine was and I would get bad wobble at the same speeds you do.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Check tire pressure, make sure it is the same on each side.

5. detailer03

It is not rubbing on the tie rod. I will recheck every thing.
    What about bad shocks?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

More toe in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. bigjohnintexas

bigjohnintexas Registered Member

I just recently came upon the same problem. It was some what noticable with my 35" SSRs, but extremely noticable with my 38" TSLs. I really thought it was just a stablalizer problem and never paid much attention, but the other day the wobble got to the point it was dangerous. I had to stop in the middle turn lane because it was so bad. No matter how hard I held the steering wheel, it would get away from me. I put another stabalizer on it...no bueno /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Put the 35s back on it...still no bueno /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Put new drag link ends...you guessed it-no bueno /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

It turned out to be my steering box. Have someone turn your steering wheel back and forth while you look at the steering shaft the pitman arm bolts to. If there is slack there, that may be the problem. A little slack at the steering box means a lot of slack at the wheel...hence the wobble.

John

8. detailer03

Thanks, I never thought of that. I will check them today.