Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front fenders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Oct 10, 2000.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I got into an accident with a Lexus SUV last winter and my pass. front fender needs to be replaced. How much of a hassle is this. I have the stock radio antenna mounted to it. Oh yeah, the Lexus didnt fair, at all, very well. I was sitting at an intersection, completly stopped. The lexus was speeding, in the slushy mess, towards the intersection. He used his blinker and attempted to turn. Only he kept slidding toward my truck. He mangled his front bumper, fender, rim and tire, passenger door, broke the glass in the front door and spidered the windshield, not to mention all the airbags went off. Total damage $11500+ towing. My truck has a bent front bumper, smashed marker light, broken grill, and messed up fender. The police sumized that he got traction and came short of the turn instead of wide. Needless to say I am not paying for anything. I felt bad though, the dealer stickers were still on it. They should really require a course for NEW SUV owners.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I dont know about K%s, but this morning I tried to help a friend take his fender off his S10 Blazer and it was impossible. There were probably 50 bolts in there and when we were done we still had about 15 left. We didn't even get it off, it was stuck or something. I offered to rip it off with my K5, but he didn't want to do that. I'd say, if you don't have to pay for it, let someone else do it!

90K5

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree- take it to the best bodyshop in town and demand that they use genuine GM parts to replace the old ones.

4. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

fr8train do it yourself. I swapped my whole front clip in 3 hrs.

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

It's not too hard to do. I took my whole front end off to paint it because I didn't feel like masking anything. There's 3 bolts to the tub: one on the door jamb, one near the hood hinge, and one underneath next to the rocker panel. There's a bunch (8 I think) inside the wheel well that tie it to the inner fender and about 6 more that hold the core support. Take out your battery tray and pull the bolts out of the hood spring and your all set. Take your bumper off too, it will make removing the fender a LOT easier. The worst part is lining up the new fender, sometimes they are a pain in the @ss. My new fender didn't have the hole for the antenna so you might have to drill it. I just installed a windshield antenna because I like the clean look without the one on the fender, plus it would have been torn off by now on a trail. Good luck.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org