Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRONT FENDERWELL ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Oct 1, 2002.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Hey whats the little triangular plate inside both front fenderwells? They have 3 bolts on them, mine are rusty and need replacing. Do they have tapped holes or welded nuts or just nuts and washers? What are they bolted to? Thanks in advance to a great group of Blazer nuts!!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I always wondered what they were and when they rusted out I welded a patch. Then when I needed to service my air conditionning I found out that one of the bolts is behind this plate /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    It is there for a reason, and yes it has welded nuts in there.
    IceMan

3. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I kinda figured they put em there for a reason, what about the driversside? why is that one there?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Two of the nuts retain the inner fender to the body, the other one, can't recall. Plates or the fenders rust out there always, not sure why GM did such a crappy job on that piece, but I believe that plate is there for reinforcement of the bolts to the body.

The plate is not bolted in, its spot welded, the fender tends to bend before you break the welds : )

5. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Thanks Dorian, so basically I can replace them with some heavy sheetmetal then put some undercoat on?

6. dyeager535

I don't know if I'd do it that way.

Personally, and I'm just a little anal about rust, I'd replace the inner fender. The inner fenders aren't too hard to find, (probably fairly inexpensive even from GM) and the problem with them is that the steel plate there tends to hold up better than the inner fender itself, so the plate stays, inner fender develops holes around the plate, and the water (salt, mud, dirt, insert favorite rust builder here) leaks in behind the inner fender, and gets trapped between it and the body, which means floor pan, rockers, etc. all rot out from the the inside, and by the time you see it, its too late, the panel is rusted through. If you look under the truck, stock, right behind the inner fender under the drivers feet, is a plastic pan that will work excellent to catch and retain debris if its allowed in there through the inner fender, which obviously sees a LOT of debris, or it wouldn't rot out so commonly.

Anyways, I guess you could use a replacement piece of sheet metal, but I'd silicone the thing around the edges before undercoating, assuming the undercoating doesn't hurt the silicone.

I'm also not partial to undercoating, I prefer rinsing the vehicle off frequently, so I can see where rust is starting. My '83 was from back east, and all the undercoating did was hold the *appearance* of metal underneath, when in actuality, the rust had spread extremely far, and rotted huge sections of metal out.

So good paint and frequent washings I say good. Undercoating, I say bad.

No opinion in this post eh? : )

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it's spot welded on yours someone did it.
    It came with 3 bolts from the factory.
    The only problem I had when I welded it is that I had to remove the whole inner fender to work on the heater, which actually makes working on it easier but you have to unbolt a milion bolts /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Iceman

8. dyeager535

No, I doubt mine was welded on afterwards. 1985/1986 that is not a replaceable piece, the fenders come with it attached. The bolts hold the inner fender to the outer fender (two of them) and the inner one on that plate holds the inner fender to the body.

9. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Thanks again Dorian, I will check it out more this weekend.