Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front flex help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GEORGIA GABE, Jul 3, 2006.

1. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

:D Yes, I searched. I was wondering if bending the spring clamps on the front springs up into a U shape would help the front droop a little better. I have a few freinds who have done this with their cjs but I just wasnt sure about the weight factor. I am running 4 inch lift springs in the front and a homeade shackle flip in the rear. 10b12b locked with 4:56s...I do have some hp and tend to "bump" pretty firm ( I just locked the front yesterday so I dont know how I will drive now that Im not 3 wheel drive). I just wanted some input from any of you who have been there done that.
    thanks
    gabe

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Have you thought about relocating your front springs rear hanger, in the frame? It would be like the 52" swap relocation, except with no relocation taking place for the front hanger. Then run the longer shackles. I plan to run that with my 48" 6" TC ez's. I still see a bunch of guys who want better flex/droop running restrictive shackle angles. Soft spring rates are no good if the shackle doesn't have a good range of motion. Unfortunately, I have not gotten to the stage of doing it and testing it, but it *should* provide some good travel.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have been thinking about doing this as well. I am going to do the 52" swap, but with my 4" springs my shackle is pretty much vertical. I figured longer shackles with it moved forward like the 52" swap would give me some more down travel. Plus when I do the 52's it will only be half the work.:D

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Instead of bending mine up,I cut off the part of the clamp that wraped over the top of the spring.And yes it gives you a little more droop.

You can see my clamps in this pic :D
    [​IMG]

Chris

5. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

have you had any problem with the springs wanting to fan out after really flexing them? This is the only thing im worried about if i cut mine like that.

6. evo

evo Registered Member

i cut my clamps completely off so there was nothing left. it helped with droop but the springs fanned out all the time. i would just bend them up if i was to do it over.

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My plan is to bend them up and out, sort of like the letter Y,so they will "collect" the leaves as they settle.. I hope anyway ..LOL :wink1: . Then put new clamps on the main & second leaves, out towards the ends, almost up against the spring eyes.

Yeah, that's another reason I was going to do it. In the event I ever go to a 52 up front, then the rear mounts will already be in place. My hope is, that the travel is good enough that I will just leave it alone.