Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front gear break in?? (searched)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Aug 25, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So I got new gears put in the front but is there a break-in procedure like gears for the rear? I did a search and only found this link:

gear break-in

Thanks
    Ross

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The idea behind breaking gears in is so they don't get too hot until the metal is "compressed", so to speak. Since the front axle is generally only used at low speed for what most of us do, I don't think that the break in procedure is really necessary. If you want to do it, you could pull the rear shaft and break in the front by driving around with the front end only, but I don't really think it's neccessary.</font>

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The biggest deal with breaking in gears is "lapping" and the heat is causes. I would reccommend driving with your hubs locked a little and using them gently off road the first few trips. They are not full strength untill they are broken in (the surface of the gears will actually harden).

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

well actaully, you only need to break them in once. drive them around for 20min to get them hot and then let them cool thouroughly and that's it. The basic idea is to get the metal hot and then let it cool to get it "stronger." there's no point to do it over and over, as it does not get stronger and stronger after the first time.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I say lock the hubs, drive 30-40 mph for about 10-15 minutes, get out, unlock the hubs, and let it cool and it's good to go.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Replacement gear's are'nt burnished in like the rig's have when new. They burnish them before their installed so there's little or no warranty problem with them, from an O.E.M. new vehicle standpoint.

With replacement gear's which we all use in our rig's, just lock in the hub's and drive around for 10-15 mile's, then unlock the hub's, let it cool, as you drive back, or continue your journey, and then lock em in again. Do this few time's, and they should be good to go. Also, after the first say 100 mile's, maybe dump the old oil. and refill with new oil.