Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Greasable Bolts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jfortner, Aug 24, 2004.

1. jfortner

jfortner Registered Member

So I now have the new TC springs and greasable bolts on the front that you sent me. They fit great and I can't wait to get the back installed so I can be back on the road again.

But I had an issue as I was finishing up. As I was greasing the bolts when I went to twist the grease gun off one the grease bulb broke off right at the bolt. I didn't think I twisted to hard but with as long as the grease gun is there is probably a leverage factor that makes it seem like not alot of force. What is my best option for fixing this now. I am not is a big hurry since it is all greased for now. I didn't know if you can send me a new grease bulb and I can try and easy out this one or if I need to replace the whole bolt? Anyways I am not in a big hurry but let me know what I should try first.

Thanks John
    Marysville, WA

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

John, I am suprised that the grease zirk broke off with that little force. The Zirks are a press in type. Once Stephen Posts up he can probably tell you a drill bit size to drill the remaing zirk piece out and press in a new one.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think I'd try pulling it with an EZ out or something like that first, then you could try drilling the left over shank out. It is a bit strange that it broke off like that but it is a tiny part. You can get a new press in zerk at a lot of hardware stores in the specialty bins but if you can't find one, let us know and we'll send one out. If it doesn't work out, we can get you a new bolt too for a reasonable price.

4. jfortner

jfortner Registered Member

Thanks I will let you know if I need anything.

John

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I have some press in zerks on my transfer trailer and the best way I've found to get the stub out when I break one is use a self tapping machine screw screwed into the stub then grab the machine screw with vice grip pliers and work the stub out.