Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Hub Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ric89k5, Nov 27, 2000.

1. ric89k5

ric89k5 Newbie

I am new to the site and not very technical and I was hoping to get some help from you guys. I have an 89 K5, 350 F/I with part-time 4wd and auto hubs. When I am drive in 2wd on the road sometime I get a loud metal grinding noise coming from the front driver's side wheel, I almost positive it is the autohubs, because when I stop and backup about five feet to disengage the hub the noise goes away for a couple days. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and can confirm that it is the auto-hub. Also if it is the hub, is it very hard to swap the autohubs for manuals, does it involve removing the rotor, caliper, and axle shaft or is it just a direct swapping of the hub itself. Thanks in advance

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that sounds like a auto hub problem to me they are fairly simple to change over to manual hubs witch are better anyway if you do a search on this topic you will find lots of info on how to do this hope this helps some

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Similar type problems with the factory auto locking hubs is pretty common. Swapping to manual hubs is very easy and only involves removing the actual locking hub......you don't even have to take the tire and wheel off though it sometimes will give you a little more room to get to it.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I had the exact problem you had with auto hubs on my 89.GM says they wear out after 60000 miles. I replaced them with Superwinch manual hubs.The job is very easy to do. just remove the six screws that hold on the hub squeese togeather the retaining ring, slide out the old hub. install the new hub and put in the retaining rings and allen screws.You dont have to remove anything but the hubs ,dont even have to jack it up.The new hubs come with everything you need.Took less than a half hour.It was the best 60 bucks I spent on my K5 yet.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Yup, it's your hubs, mine starting clacking like crazy when they went out. I replaced mine with WARN premiums and I too think it was one of the better upgrades that I've done......that and the MSD ignition. It's very simple to do, everything is included in the kit and you don't have to take the wheels off, should be able to do it in an hour or so. Just make sure you have or borrow a hub wrench.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

What do you need the hub wrench for when just replacing the hubs?

7. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

hubs get screwed in and sometimes they are hard to get out,,,the hub socket is worth it's weight in gold!!! i've already tried the chisel method and let me tell you it sucks!!the socket was the best $30 buck's i've ever spent!!!only use it once and a while but it does come in handy...

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>That's right K5king,

It's one of the best things I've bought too, I've used it alot over the years. It helps the job quite a bit. It's just one of those specialty tools you're glad you have when you need it !</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

The hub socket is also needed if you need to remove your rotors to have them turned during a brake job.
    I bought mine years ago.. only used the socket twice.
    Next I have to buy the manual hubs..
    and maybe a jacobs ignition system.

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Don't get a Jacobs ignition system. They always break or mess up something. Their people aren't very helpful either. MSD is helpful and they don't cause problems.

90K5

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I thought we were just talking about replacing the locking hubs. The only tools you need to do this is a torx bit to get the original auto hub cap off, snapring pliers, and a small screwdriver to get the outer retaining ring off. The appropriate size allen wrench is needed to put the Warn hub cover back on.

The only time you need a "hub wrench" is if you take the entire hub/rotor/bearing assembly off........which is not necessary for replacing just the locking hubs.

12. ric89k5

ric89k5 Newbie

Thanks Guys,
    I put in a set of Warn Premium Hubs this morning. I only had a little trouble getting the old axle retaining rings off (I broke my snapring pliers). I did use the hub socket, but only because I re-torqued the hub lock nuts since I could reach them.

Thanks for all your help.