Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front hubs -breaking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Jul 5, 2003.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i have a 203 t c . and the closest i come to part time is warn hubs,peterson's off road said today actually that this was the way to go. i've had the truck for 12 yrs. and i go through a set of hubs every 6 month's or so.the sound when they break is loud and it grind's until i fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I didn't even think you could do that? I though how the 203 worked was if it sensed slip (hubs unlocked) it would engage...therefore it wouldn't drive??? I am not sure somebody will post up I'm sure.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

the only way you can use front hubs on a full time 4wd rig is if you leave the hubs in the locked position all the time, otherwise they will break, only way around it is to put a part time kit in the t-case.

4. boggerless

that's what i thought. seriously though the mag said this was the poop.but iv'e been busting them since 90. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Why do you even have locking hubs if the transfer case is still full-time 4WD? Just find an old truck in a junkyard with the factory slugs and chrome caps and install those on your rig.

As to why the locking hubs keep breaking... Are you driving in 4-Loc on the pavement? That will bind up the driveline and eventually something will break. Sort of a find-the-weakest-link thing. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. boggerless

no, i don't run in 4 loc on the street.the truck had manual hubs in when i got it. to the junkyard i go. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i would just change to a part time tranfer case or make your 203 part time.having 4 wheel in all the time sucks up a lot of gas and puts a lot of extra wear on front end components.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Full-time 4WD is awesome for driving on snow and ice covered roads. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. boggerless

i think that is why the guy i got from put the hubs in, wear and tear and better gas.it's not my DD anymore so i guess it doesn't matter.but i still drive it too and fro. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif