Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRONT HUBS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bmwsma, Dec 2, 2002.

1. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

The 4wd in my 1990 GMG Jimmy (fullsize) doesn't work. The front driveshaft spins but the wheels don't turn. I suspect the front autolocking hubs are dorked up. Am I missing anything? It doesn't make any crunching sounds or anything. How do the hubs work? Are they vacuum or electric? Can I slap on a set of manual hubs and problem solved? I can't see it being that big of a deal. Thanks in advance for the advice.....

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yes, you can just throw on a set of manual hubs and they'll work fine. The auto hubs do tend to crap out after awhile. They are purely mechanical, no vaccuum or electrical stuff to them. </font color>

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

go fer warns, depending on how you wheel, the premiums are nice, but the standard hubs will do you well to, and they should be a direct bolt in.

p.s. im trying to get my friend to do this same thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, get manual hubs to replace his POS autolocking hubs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

If you are switching from the autolocking hubs to the manual hubs dont you also have to get a conversion kit?
    -Kell-

5. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

I believe the conversion kit is for the tcase. It being a '90, I don't think that will be necessary.

6. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I had auto hubs and when i went to replace them with Warn Premiums i found that the bearings were in a million peices and the hub was failing to work also, it was also in many peices. The grease was pretty well chared to. You cant go wrong with manuals because you will always know if they are engaging or not

10Bolt/350/31"s208

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

manuals
    an easy fix and doesnt take very long

8. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

First thing I did when I got my '84 home!!

9. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

heck yeah got me a pair of the prem for 76 bucks off ebay and that is with shipping they were brand new. the standards sold for like thirty bucks without shipping but i said what the hell and i love em.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, most of the conversion kits you see are for the full time 203. The 208/241 won't need that, and personally, I just took a pair of stock Spicer hubs off of an older truck and bolted those on.

No problems since, which is more than I could say for my well maintained auto hubs, that always decided not to work when I needed them.

11. 87sm465np208

yep, yesterday me and my friend were screwing around on the ice, while i was feeling bangs from my driveline slop when i was skidding across teh parking lot in 4wd, my friends blazer was making crinkleing\banging noises from the hubs in the front, im waiting for them to blow on his so he will get some lock outs, i got some full time style hubs i can give him, but he dosnt want them /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. of corse his blazer gets the mileage of a fulltime 4wd, sooooooo i dunno. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't wait til the hubs blow. They might do more damage than you want if you let them go. Better to replace them now while other parts are still in good condition and not have to worry about shelling out more $$$ for replacement parts that could have been avoided in the first place. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I agree with Wess! I had a set go and I had too Chisel the housing out cause it got fused to the bearing Hub!!!! PITA!!!! Oh did that suck! Made a 5 min hub change into a 3 hour chisel fest! Fix now, or be pissed later! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. 87sm465np208

personally i think my friend will wait for his to blow, he is tooooooooo far into his g\f right now, it is his first g\f, im his best friend and he treats me like im not even there anymore, and he is neglecting his blazer, and he works from 3-6:15 and yet he bitches he is soooooooo tired and dosnt have any time to do anything, even after him and his g\f sleep in his bed and then he drives her home at 11:30 at night, and there is school the next day. he is hopeless, sorry about the ranting and raveing, im just pissed about that now, ever since she moved into his life, i dissipeard from it, even tho im finding cool friends to chill with, but still god dammit, he should take care of his blazer, because that will be a bitch if it blows and we have to chisel it out.

15. thatK30guy

Print this thread off and send it to him via postal mail. He will read it one way or another.

Another thing to let him know: if he does not take the worn hubs out now, and if they blow later, he could damage or even break the outer stub shafts, along with the u-joint and possibly damaging the inner shafts, too. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

slapped on a set of warn premiums.... PROBLEM SOLVED!!! What a pain in the ass it was to get the automatic hubs off until I figured out haw easy they really are. The drivers side took 2 hours the passanger side 8 minutes!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

17. 87sm465np208

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, wise choice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

18. thatK30guy

I agree! Intelligent choice! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif