Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front leaf spring bushing questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know the stock rear springs used a rubber bushing inside a metal casing (only because I have pounded, pressed, drilled, etc., etc. several springs worth of bushings out), but I was wondering if the rear bushing (smaller size) in the front spring, and in the frame mount are like that too, or just rubber. I am putting the ORD heavy duty shackles on my 78 (as they are bent....and the reason why I thought the axles were offset /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ) and want to do it will the springs in the vehicle, but wasn't sure if I was going to have to deal with the metal collars or not. Does anyone know on stock front springs?

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

The front spring eye bushings (all) are similar to the rears in that they have a metal sleeve encasing the rubber with an inner bolt sleeve. They differ from the rears in that they do not have a flange on one side that ends up touching the spring once installed, so you need to watch how far you drive them in. The shackle to frame bushings are rubber with a metal bolt sleeve and no outer sleeve.

I tried the drilling/heating/etc method as well, but found a 1 1/8" socket and a shot of WD40 works excellent for the front eyes.

Hope that helps...

3. Leadfoot

Thanks!

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a lighter and some patience gets them out easier then any other method.
    smells bad though

5. Leadfoot

Actually did it this weekend. No external metal bushings on any portion. Either aftermarket springs or the bushings were replaced, although they were pretty beat up. I used a razor to cut off the shoulders of the bushings, got a drill and drilled a couple (3-4) holes in each bushing (between the outside of the bushing and inner sleeve, and pounded out (not much work). I would try the fire method, but with the smell, and the fact these were still located in the truck and I was not in the mood to put out a fire, I decided to use the drill and hammer out method (worked good). I will give people a tip if they want to go with the drill and hammer out method....CUT the shoulder (outer edge) of the bushings off before drilling as you will be able to see where the bit needs to go to get in between the metal sleeve and outter metal edge (spring eye, frame eye, rear shackle eye).