Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front leaf spring size

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TONYP, Oct 16, 2002.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Will a set of front leaf from a 1977 K5 chevy fit on a 1972 K5 /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    <font color="red">LETS GO ANGELS!! </font color>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

easy answer...NO.
    They are 3" longer then a stock leaf.
    But that is what I am going to do when I remove the stiff as hell rancho's that I have in the front. Just a bit of "tweaking" required.

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

yes they will fit. You need a smoke wrench to move the front pearches forward and stick welder to put em back on the frame. ez.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

So you moved the front mount forward 3"...how is the ride...softer...don't really want to reposition the mount, could you fab up some new mount hanger a bolt it on. I going to have a look ....then the next question is did you have to put some kind of traction bar on for spring wrap...I'm trying some ideals on that right now....
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif <font color="red"> LETS GO ANGELS </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You get them re-arched so the eye to eye length is right. But they'd be real high. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Having recieved the wrong prings the first time I lifted my truck... yeh they will fit if your determined.. they will actually work with the stock hanger locations but you MUST have longer front shackles... the longer spring with stock shackls will be directly against the frame and they will do damage to said frame...
    I chose to get the correct length springs.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

thank for the info.....don't need to be adding anymore work to the truck then I have going on right now.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif <font color="red">ANGELS IN 6 </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Hey you can just remove the four rivets holding the front spring hanger and move it forward so the rear holes in the hanger line up with the front holes is the frame and use bolts in those two. Drill one more in the frame for the inner front hole. You have to grind the hanger a little bit to fit the frame tightly. My suburbans left the ground a few times in the sand with this setup and no problems so far!

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

so what is the lenght of a front 72 leaf spring?

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Just checked a set of stock springs and the ranchos on my rig. And both are at 43.5"s center of eye to eye. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif