Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front leaf springs- Short travel? Lift needed?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Here in the pothole capital of the world... I was noticing that the compression of the spring is only about 1"-1.5" before it hits the rubber frame bump stops. Meanwhile, it gets about 5 inches of travel once unloaded. So yeah, this is great when you fall into a ditch with one wheel, but in terms of impact shocks, it sucks!

I don't want to affect ride quality negatively or deal with getting custom drive shafts etc... Maybe I should just do a 1" or 2" from ord? Will this increase the compression distance, and prevent the springs from hitting the bump stop?

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Pothole capital of the world? You live in Oklahoma too????
    Front stock springs have a bit of what is referred to as a negative arch when they are installed. This leaves little room for travel (compression). One of the worst things that you can do is to put blocks under the front springs. This will increase the leverage for axle wrap. You may want to look hard at maybe a one or two inch spring lift and replace the front springs all together. This will give you a little more clearance. I believe ORD has the front greasable shackles that will give you about another inch or so and maybe keep the rear portion of the spring from hitting the frame. It will not do anything about the negative arch of the stock springs and you will probably still bottom it out.

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I would try the ORD heavy duty shackles first. I just recieved mine in the mail and you can see that they're going to add a little lift. Just make sure you get shims to correct pinion angle and alignment. If that isn't enough a cheap way to go would be add a leafs, it will make for a rougher ride than stock but it will get you some lift. I would just go with a regular lift personally. Good luck.