Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front lift blocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RLBstein, Mar 11, 2001.

1. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I have 4" front springs I installed but have run into a problem. My sway bar no longer fits on. I know your not supposed to run lift blocks on the front, but what about on top of the spring. That would lift the top pads to the right height to install my swaybar. Anybody ever done this.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's with no cutting on a 4" lift.

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Buy the swaybar disconnect from ORD. This will give you a better ride, allow the swaybar to be disconnected for offroad and you don't have long U bolts in the front. The cost will be close to a wash.

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Swaybar? You dont need no stinken swaybar..... :)
    I have taken my swaybar off 2+ years ago and notice no difference in handling. I do notice a HUGE difference in articulation. I'd say take it off and be done with it.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG] I disconnected my swaybar to go wheelin once and figured I'd reconnect it when I got home. That was 3 years ago. Unless I get a real soft set of springs I'll just leave mine in the back yard. [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I did pretty much the same thing with my old 75 K5. I pulled the big bolts out of the plates to see how much difference it made on the trail. Wow! Much better. Didn't feel like getting down there and trying to put it back together in the mud so, I thought, "I'll do it later". Several months later I just finished taking the whole thing out. I had a 4" lift, BFG 35" MTs and a 454. Even with all that top heavy weight I couldn't really even tell it was gone most of the time.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

O.K. so you guys don't drive your truck hard on road. Mine is a daily driver and a work truck and an off road pig. I've found a big difference with the sway bar disconnected off road as you have as well. I also drive my truck around corners harder than most. I've seen a real negative impact without the bar. Same applies to when I tow. To each their own.....

7. K10

K10 Registered Member

I have not had my swaybar on for 2 years now. I drive it to work every day. I think it drives a lot better without the swaybar.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://nick.rockcrawler.com>http://nick.rockcrawler.com</A>

8. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the insight folks, my truck doesn't necessarily drive bad, I just thought it might help to have it installed since mines on the road a lot more than off. The ORD disconnect sounds good but i'm about to move to florida next month and the wife would kill me if I put another dime in that truck right now besides gas money. (One of the reasons I don't have carpet or anything else interior besides seats.) Thanks for reminding me about longer u-bolts, I know I wouldn't have figured that out until the entire axle was disconnected.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's with no cutting on a 4" lift.

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you want to retain the sway bar, loosen the bolts that mount it to the frame. You should have enought adjustment to bolt it up to the spring plates, then tighten all the bolts. At least it worked on mine when I first lifted it, then I got lazy and never reconnected it after a four wheeling trip.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I know several manufacturers make drop swaybar brackets, I think they bolt on where it connects to the frame. You could probbaly make one pretty easily too if you have the right equipment.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>