Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front lift options

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Feb 18, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

short of springs, what are some ways to gain a few inches

i hear people saying things about (i know ill sound stupid) echobit, shackle flip(kind of an idea), zero rates, add aleafs(duh) what exactly are these things?

im searching my a$$ off as i write this, but just incase i cant find what im looking for, ill have this going at the same time

2. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

You can do AALs if you have stock springs to get about 2", you can get zero rates to get 1". I think daystar makes a 1.5" lift shackle also, but I wouldn't use it unless you plan on only using it to gain some lift, it will set your pinion angle down and make your driveshaft angle more severe. But if you do the AAL and zero rates you could get about 3".

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Only two ways to lift the front.

Add leaves or change springs.

4. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Shackle flips are for the rear suspension. Echobit is a brand of a rear shackle flip kit. Other brands of shakle flips include the ORD kt, and the AK-47 (formerly springer) kit.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Only two ways to lift the front.

Add leaves or change springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

or install longer shackles.

6. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

or cut the rivets off holding the spring perches in the front and weld a 2" or 4" piece of tube steel in between the frame and the spring perch, I have done this in the past with a short box Dodge and it worked quite well! Just watch the pinion angle and be sure your welds are quality. This is an old school method that my dad used 25 years ago. Been working for a long time. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

longer shackles

elaborate, or pictures?

is it safe?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I say if you're going to lift a truck, do it right and install new leaf springs up front.

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would say stay away from Superlift springs, I'v had them in for almost 3 years and they are still stiff as hell, dont alow for alot of flex and just give a real rough ride. I plan on swaping them out to some rough country EZ rides or something softer

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    longer shackles

elaborate, or pictures?

is it safe?

[/ QUOTE ]

The stock shackles can be replaced with longer ones. Many folks make their own and there are at least two companies that make them.

Hill 4 Wheel Drive makes some extended shackles that are 2" longer than stock. These will give you a total of 1" lift. Nice units but I don't know if they are still in business.

Here is a picture of a Hill shackle compared to a stock shackle:
    [​IMG]

Offroad Design has an excellent heavy duty shackle that is 1/2" longer than stock. That means you will only get about 1/4" lift but the main purpose is to get the spring away from the frame.
    [​IMG]

Since you are raising only one end of your spring it will have the same effect as a shackle flip in the rear: It will change your pinion angle. On the front axle that means that your castor angle will change as well. With the ORD units it won't make enough difference for you to be concerned.

[ QUOTE ]
    is it safe?

[/ QUOTE ]

If done properly it shouldn't be a problem. The ORD system is basically a beefy stock setup that gets your springs away from the frame with greasable bushings for under $90. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The Hill shackles are about the most you would want to extend a shackle on a Chevy truck. Strength isn't an issue but the castor angle chage might be. If you get yourself some angled zero-rates (around 2-3 degrees, depending on the truck) to correct the castor and pinion angle problems you shouldn't notice any handling problems.

If you only want an inch or two of lift then this is an inexpensive way to keep some nice flexy springs up front.

If you want more than 1 1/2-2 extra inches then you will need to get new springs.

Whichever way you go, the ORD HD shackle is a great idea.

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

how diffifult are those to make

you said some people here have made their own

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I would say stay away from Superlift springs, I'v had them in for almost 3 years and they are still stiff as hell, dont alow for alot of flex and just give a real rough ride. I plan on swaping them out to some rough country EZ rides or something softer

[/ QUOTE ] I've got Superlift up front and they're not too bad, but yeah, they are alittle stiff. Think they'd be better with a big block over them ???

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how diffifult are those to make

you said some people here have made their own

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too hard if you have the equipment.

<ul type="square"> [*]Cut 4 lengths of steel [*]Drill 8 holes [/list]

But then you have to paint them, get some bushings and some drilled out bolts for greasable ones.

For $89. you get them already made, zink coated, bushings and hardware all ready to go. Add another $25. and you get greasable main eye bushings for a completely greasable front end. The non-greasable version of the HD Shackle is only $64.

Remember, you don't really get much lift with the ORD shackles, they are designed for strength and to get the springs off the frame. The Hill shackles will only give you an inch, max.

If you are looking to get JUST an inch of lift for clearance problems and don't need to mess with bushings right now then a set of zero rates might be a better (cheaper) way to do it.

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Shackle lifts are very common for Jeeps. Since their shackles are in the front, they actually tip the pinion up while getting some lift, where it is the opposite for Chevy's. The plus is that you can find extended shackles at Autozone or other parts stores. Some of these offer multiple holes so you can choose how long to use them. You can always cut off the extra length, too. You shouldn't try for more than 1" of lift this way.

I run shackles that are 1.5" longer than stock for 3/4" of lift. I have been meaning to correct the pinion with about a 2 degree shim, but it has been working perfectly for about two years, so I will probably never bother. They are also much thicker than the factory shackles, so I would say yes, it is safe.