Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front lift springs and add-a-leaf question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83k5inthefort, Jul 11, 2004.

1. 83k5inthefort

83k5inthefort Registered Member

Hey everyone,
    I know you suspension junkies can help with this one...

I've got an 83 K5 which had been sitting next to a curb for a year when I bought it. The 2" lift springs had started sagging to the right as a result. I replaced the rears with 4" lifts, now I'm looking at the front. The passenger side front springs sag about 1/2" as compared to the driver's side. If I were to add-a-leaf to each front spring, would the one sided sag go away, or remain, just 2" higher? Is it a better idea to just replace them both with 4" springs? I would like to avoid the cost/trouble if possible. Any other low cost options? Can the springs be re-curved at this point?
    Thanks in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Not cheapest , but easiest way to be evn on both sides ( provided its IS ONLY the problem with springs ) is to buy new , or send/take to spring shop for rearching /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

I think add-a-leaves would probably ride stiffer up front, on top of the already stiffer lift springs, as well as still listing to one side /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I honestly belive, you'd be better off installing a set of new lift springs. BDS and Tuff Country make some good ones.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The add-a-leafs are usually used on stock (very flat) springs. If the springs are already 2" arched then the add a leafs are not gonna do much for height but will certainly kill the ride. Most older trucks lean about a 1/2" to one side or the other any way. Best bet is new springs.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I agree you're better off with new springs. As for the trouble of changing the springs,.. it's less trouble to change them (IMO), than to add the leaf. Cost, well, yes it's going to cost more for the new springs, but at least you'll know you did it right.

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

A back yard mechanic's way of fixing that problem would be to raise the passanger side tire off the ground (using the frame as a lifting point) and allow the spring to hang supporting the weight of the axle. Then take a torch /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif and heat the spring allowing it to be pulled or re-arched a bit. I've seen it done quite a few times on kinked springs with fairly good results. But heck... I've seen a leaf spring get welded before!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

For the front I would get new springs. You don't want to chance it especially on the front by rigging something up to just get by. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif