Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front lift springs - revisited

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Jul 26, 2004.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I know this discussion has happened before, but after trying numerous searches it was clear it would take all day to find them...........anyway.......

To make a long story short I bent my driver's side front main leaf wheeling on Saturday (which also put me in a bad situation because it shifted the axle and bound up the steering.....). The current springs are 4" Skyjacker softrides that have been on the truck for around 8 years. I've been happy with them and can't really blame them after all of the abuse they have seen, but I might switch to a different brand and need some opinions on which one to get.

The Skyjackers always impressed me because they had 5 thinner leaves (instead of 3 or 4 thickers leaves like most have), were tapered along almost the entire length of the springs, had the "bolt-on" style clamps instead of the cinch type, and had the wear pads between the leafs.

Do any of the other aftermarket springs have a double-wrap or military wrap main leaf???

BTW, the specs on the truck:
    '90 K5, 6.2 diesel, 700r4, front winch and bumper, Dana 60/14-bolt, 38" TSLs.

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you've bent your springs once, you need BDS for the warranty alone. They also have one of the best spring rates, military wrap, bolt on clamps and wear pads in between the leafs. I can't see a reason why you would go with any other company... they're just that good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just got done looking at BDS's webpage and like what I see.

I'm hoping to order springs by tomorrow, so keep the recommendations coming!

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I run the 4" BDS springs. I love them. They have all of the features you mentioned with an awsome warranty. As far as the clamps go, BDS has 3 bolt style per spring, so there is less fanning out of the leaves and less stress on the clamps themselves.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Any recommendations for places to order BDS springs from???

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm running 6" BDS springs up front and 4" BDS out back (w/ an ORD 2.5" shckle flip). I'm very happy with them and they seem to flex well, although I haven't had a chance to really twist up the suspension yet.
    If I had it to do all over again though I would do a long spring conversion (52"+) up front.