Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Limited Slip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87GMC, Feb 22, 2002.

1. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I need to know what everyone is using in the front axle. I'm going with 4.10 and a detroit in the rear. I'm like the powerlok because of it's 4 spider gears. Let me know what you think.

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

one wheel peel in the front want a ARB air locker

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

3. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Are you offering one?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When I change my axles out, I am taking the Auburn out of the rear, and putting it into the front 10bolt. The Auburn has worked well in the rear, and I don't want a full on locker in the front so this is the most economical chose, and is what I want anyway.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Auburn was my second choice. How much did it take to loss drive to one tire? I expect it to slip when one tire is off the ground but what about when both tires where down? Did you notice any slip in mud or wet rocks?

6. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

I put a spool in my front 10 bolt recently, it is a bear to turn on a dirt road, pavement forget it......feels like I'm gonna break something when I lock the front in on hard stuff. If I had it to do over I'd go with a limited slip.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Not really. When both tires are on the ground I get pretty good traction. I don't get a tire off the ground much. If I floor it when it rains off a light both tires spin. Also when it is dry, and I am going threw a tight corner and give it a far amount of gas the Auburn will chirp the inside tire. It is pretty tight, especially for being 3 years old. When I have on tire up on a jaskstand, and the other on the ground, it takes a fair amount of force to get the tire to slip.( I'm a big strong guy too.) The only thing about the Auburn is it is not rebuildable like the eaton is, but I like my Auburn. If you get one, just make sure you use the GM limited slip additive with it. I have heard of problem with them with other stuff. Mine works great so thats all I will use.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't think it would be a good idea to take the auburn from the back and put it in the front. The auburn has developed a wear pattern on the cones since you have had it in the rear, once you install it in the front it will now be spinning the opposite direction which isn't a good idea. Granted i know that the front diffs aren't used alot but still there will be a different wear pattern going to take place and no doubt it will fail quickly. Just my $.02

1989 blazer, 383 stroker, 4.56 geared and detroit locked D44 front and 14BFF rear

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I did it and haven't had any problems yet. Only about 1500 miles since the install and thats in 2 wheel drive. So who knows. I'll let you all know when it goes. I got other things to take care of before that. Diff's are worthless if you dont have anything to turn them with. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the heads up though. I'll keep that on the back burner case something fishy does arise!

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a Trac lock in my front end (D60) with 44's. It will "one-wheel" about 1/2 of the time when I put it under a load (mud). I dont notice it at all steering, which is nice. I have broken 1 outer axle while mud bogging so it does work, I just want a little more.

I bought a Power Lock off of Ebay that I'm going to rebuild and try soon.

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

11. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I run Auburn Pro at both ends....haven't yet found a mud condition that will overcome the bias....runnin' 4:10's, 33 BFG Muds....since the Auburn is not rebuildable, I'd go with the Eaton with an upgraded spring (800lb I think from Randy's), or a gear type.....I've never seen a "Posi shootout" in any of the mags, but just from reading, I think they all work pretty well...I've had mine for about 3 yrs w/ no probs....still tight and a little noisy (popping) in turns at low speeds.....just remember to lock in your front every now and then just to keep it lubed properly if you drive mostly one the street....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

12. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

have you considereed a locker?
    i have lockrites front and rear, and if it did not click in the parking lot(rear), you really do not notice it much, plus they are fairly low cost, and real easy to install.
    the front does try to go straight a little more than open diffs, but it does not take much getting use to, plus the added traction is great
    chirs

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I use a Detroit TruTrac in my front end. Works great for me. Turns exactly the way it did when I was open...and on trail I make it up stuff that only the locker guys do sometimes. Last time I was at TSF, I was the ONLY non-locker-equiped rig that made it up everything without winching etc.

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

14. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. As for a front locker goes, how are they on snow and ice? I'm just concerned that it would effect steering to much otherwise, I would go with as locker.

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just from my experience and a good friends (RIP) experience...........I had an Auburn in the rear of my K5 that was relatively easily overcome by my motor's torque - hence no way I would recommend an Auburn (front or rear IMHO), and Scottie's Bronco had a Trac-Loc in the front that not only grenaded but was more a pegleg than a posi.

That said, a posi in the front is much better than open. Depends on whether you want positive traction (go locker) or don't mind it spinning, 'cause it WILL spin when you least want it to.

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>