Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Locker Kicks Arse!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just had to post this. I am testing the new NP208 crossmemeber for Tim from 4x4 Iron and I had to do some driving in 4x4 to see about clearences and such.

My Community College has a dirty parking lot that I was parked in. I went to the very back row and locked in the hubs and put it in Low Range. I gave it some good hard full throttle 1-3rd gear run down the row. I turned around at the end of the row and was cockeyed on the row after the turn. I jammed the gas hard and that front locker just whipped me around straight in nothing flat. It was freakin SWEET!!! I stopped and did it again just to have some more fun with the lockers whipping me around. I got to say, I like this front locker alot. I also learned this:

4.56 gears + 2.61 low range + 32" tires + dual lockers + mild 350 = FAST ACCELERATION /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. I didn't have any mean metal on metal noises form the crossmember. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

wow, a locked up 10bolt /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

get it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Got any sneak peek's of that 208 crossmember? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Coming soon to a forum near you... A new topic with a title like: "I broke my 10-bolt front-end" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

jacob

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

hey 10 bolts arent that bad, when there in a 2600lbs luv. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

i had a 10 bolt lockrite wtih 4.56 and 35" mud tires... i broke the locker but everything that had to do with the axle were just fine.

9. Hossbaby50

Here is the pic of the crossmember. It isn't finished yet. It is getting skid plated Friday. http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3674&size=big&papass=&sort=1

As for the front 10 bolt. I have seen some sick wheeling on a D44 fronts in AZ with Marv Springer and TheRobZilla. The 10 bolt is just about a strong as the D44. Marv runs the D44 with a doubler and he has made the D44 live. I saw him toast a ujoint in the front axle, but thats it. The real test will be the 37" tires I plan on getting one day.

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I thought the front locker would make for a larger turning radius? I'm getting ready to build the D60 for the Sub so right now is the time to decide if I'm going to leave it open or lock it. My turning radius isn't that great to begin with so I don't want to make it any worse. I've heard that you have to be in the throttle just to make a turn otherwise the truck just wants to plow straight even with the wheels turned.

11. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Harley,
    When I told you to give it hell and test it out I did not mean you had to try and destroy the rest of the truck around it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I can skid plate it on Friday, but dont have any spare front ends laying around to replace yours with. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Hossbaby50

If you are going to build a D60 for the front of your truck then I would lock it if I were you. The turning radius is bad, but it is not that bad.

You are correct on the not wanting to turn thing. you will have to have more steering input to turn, but it isn't that big of a deal. I have been told though not to force it to turn if it really doens't want to turn. The thing you will have to do more 3 point turns instead of trying to rely on turning radius. If you are building a D60 for the front then I am assuming you want to use the truck for what it is intended for. Not just show. Get a locker. If you really don't want a auto locker then save and get an ARB. They are pricey but they are the best of both worlds.

Tim, sure you have a spare front end lying around to put in my truck if I break it. You got a D60 back there I could use. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hell, I am much more affraid of breaking the tranny or tcase as opposed to the frontend. If I broke an axle shaft I have spares in my truck.

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Your welcome /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. HarryH3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i had a 10 bolt lockrite wtih 4.56 and 35" mud tires... i broke the locker but everything that had to do with the axle were just fine.

[/ QUOTE ] All in good time grasshoppa, all in good time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. HarryH3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    As for the front 10 bolt. I have seen some sick wheeling on a D44 fronts in AZ with Marv Springer and TheRobZilla.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not familiar with TheRobZilla's rig but Marv has about half a Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's a LOT lighter than a stock K5. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And I don't think he does low-range, full-throttle blasts around parking lots. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Guee=ss I'm gonna have to move back to Colorado so I can try out some of these nice freebies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Hossbaby50

SHHHHHHHH. You weren't supposed to mention that there rigs are 1500lbs lighter. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They do stick there rigs in much tighter and tougher places then me though. Marv broke his ujoint on a tire turned, mild throttle, tire in hole, truck on a rock, double low range run.