Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Locker Options for a Dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trikstark5, Jul 27, 2004.

1. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

I was just reading the new 4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine and noticed a technical article on the Eaton E-locker for the Dana 44 & 60. I am in the process of pricing out the things I need to install an ARB locker in the front Dana 60, but after reading the article, I might go to the E-locker. Is anyone running the E-locker or the ARB? What are your opinions about either one? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

This has nothing to do with the e-locaker or ARB but I'll be running a spool once I get my gears installed. Most of the guys here seem to favor the Detroit locker. I was leaning towards a detroit e-locker because it's a limited slip when unlocked and a spool when locked. I just didn't have the money but I do plan on adding a detroit e-locker in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

unlocking the front is what hubs are for... detroit all the way. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have watched ARB'ed trucks and I don't like them much. The driver is always locking and unlocking. Then when you try and obstical you sometimes forget to lock it up and you are not getting traction.

I like the idea of locking the hubs, locking the tcase and haveing full traction. No on off, etc. I don't want to get half way into an obstical and get stuck or in a bad spot because I forgot to lockup my ARB.

People will tell you it is hard to steer with a locker in the front. That is BS for the most part. There is more steering input required but if you have crossover steering it is not an issue.

ARB's are good lockers but I just don't like the way they work. Then you also have to add in the price of the lines and compressor, and that also is something else to fail.

Harley

5. trikstark5

[ QUOTE ]
    Then you also have to add in the price of the lines and compressor, and that also is something else to fail.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is why I was considering the E-Locker. It has less parts to it and provides the same features the ARB does. I only really mud and pull poor Fords out of mud holes, so getting stuck on rocks really isn't an issue for me because I am not into the rock crawling. I love a good trail or mudding place. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

DEE-TROIT /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i run a electrac. the limited slip is VERY aggressive. a front locker in soft terrain, or mud does NOT turn well here

8. trikstark5

How do you like the electrac?

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

People will tell you it is hard to steer with a locker in the front. That is BS for the most part. There is more steering input required but if you have crossover steering it is not an issue.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

In the dry where you wheel that might be true. You would be singing a different tune if you wheeled the east. On the east coast where your dealing with mud. The problem isn't turning the wheels its the truck walking sideways. Many times I have to go unlock one wheel so I can keep the front tracking. Talk with Robzilly about it some time. He will tell ya.

My next truck will have a slectable locker hopefully in both ends because of 6 years of wheeling in the mud covered trails of the SE.

I don't care for ARB. I have seen so many fail. Its big fails where the ARB comes apart.
    I will be going electrick or possibly cable and these are factory electrics on the new rig I'm starting to build.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i run a electrac. the limited slip is VERY aggressive. a front locker in soft terrain, or mud does NOT turn well here

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because your tires suck. I never have this problem. I feel my front end push a little bit but it always turns in crappy terrain.

The only thing automatic I like about my truck is the lockers, two of them are installed in my truck.

If the locker induces some kind of unwanted input, put the 'case in 2wd (i've only noticed this on hard surfaces).

Otherwise, run an automatic locker, you'll love it. I've got an entirely different truck after locking it front and rear.

11. trikstark5

Thanks for your opinion. I was leaning towards trying the E-locker just to find out myself.