Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front locker or posi on snow/ice for D60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80blackgmc, Feb 28, 2007.

1. 80blackgmc

80blackgmc Registered Member

Hey guys.

I am in the process of getting all the parts for a D60 buildup. Will be 4.56 geared diff.

My '80 is a part time daily driver for the most part. I would like to be able to go offroad a lot, no rocks around here, just good old crazy mud, and deep snow. However in the winter roads get icy, and, it does see a fair amount of street driving.

From everything I read, most ppl. don't like having the front end traction aided on any kind of ice/snow. So here is my question.

If I get a posi, or a locker for the front (Detroit or a True Track), and run on the street with just one hub locked, will this work ok, be hard on the diff, or be a total waste of time?

I think the best opton for me would be the Ox cable locker, but its a STEEP price to pay for a truck like mine.

For the 14 bolt I think I would either go with a detroit locker, or the Eaton posi. My 05 dodge has a limited slip out back and open diff up front and it does OK on the ice/snow with the same tires chevy will be running on. In fact I feel there is more traction with the dodge then chevy, but the dodge is a bit more tail happy on ice.

I live in Calgary, Canada.

Let me know what you guys think before i start buying my parts. I want this truck to be a good combo of daily driver ability and a decent offroad rig. I think the 4.56 gears it has now are a bit steep for highway, but with 37" tires should be reasonable, while still maintaing the gear ratio that would work well with even 38.5" tall super swampers.

I could step down to 4.10s during this build, but, am thinking it might be taking a step backwards if I ever put big tires on, or, want to resell the diffs.

Thanks,

Igor.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Don't lock just one hub with a detroit in the front. The truck will pull very hard to one side when your foot is on or off the gas. It will be much more predictable if you leave both hubs locked.

3. 80blackgmc

Thanks for the reply.

So i guess I'm most likely either stuck with leaving it open, or, going to a selectable locker.

Anyone else out there that has traction aid on a similar truck/similar roads?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can't talk from experience, only what I've seen. I reckon a selectable is the only way to go for snow and such. Turning is a bitch with a locker and under power.

5. 1977k5

I don't usually need 4wd in the snow anyway, but I have had the front locked in a few times. IMO if its slippery enough out that you really need 4WD, having a detroit up front isn't so bad.

6. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

just leave the front open, less wear on parts and better for the snow. imo

7. 80blackgmc

I don't think leaving it open in the mountians during heavy snow is really an option. There are tons of hills that you simply need 4wd to climb, unless you have a zillon lbs in the bed.

Selectable is great, just so friggin expensive. But at the same time, by the time one buys a locker, and a cover, its not THAT much more to step it upto a selectable locker I guess.

That cable one just looks great. Any electric ones out there?

Thanks.

8. 1977k5

There are 3 electric ones: Detroit Electrac, Eaton E-locker and Auburn Ected. The Detroit Electrac is not produced anymore, likely due to issues with the locker. The Auburn Ected is not a true locker. I like the Eaton E-locker.

ARB's are the most popular selectable locker.

9. 80blackgmc

The more I read the more I think the best would be the Ox Cable locker up front (if I can afford it, open if not) and open in the rear.

For now don't have to touch the rear axle. So might as well keep it open, and one day either put an eaton in, or a detroit.

I would even be willing to try a gov lock, but my trans/diff builder says its gonna be a waste of time/brake.

10. onetonbb74

If its that nasty, then get detroits, there pretty pricy for the front, but the rear is cheap for a 14ff. Id personally leave the front open and rear would be locked.

11. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I run a lock-right in my front axle in the summer and just remove it and replace the spider and side gears for the winter. It's a lot cheaper than a selectable locker.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The "only lock one hub" just doesn't seem to work very good. With a locker it pulls to one side all of the time, and with almost any limited slip you might as well just leave it in 2wd because you won't get any power transfer to the side that's locked in anyway.

I have not been impressed with the Ox cable lockers. Several guys in our club have them and they are always having trouble getting them to engage and have to constantly adjust the cable.

13. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Labor intensive though...:confused:

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Posi's are for grandma's IMHO :D .

Lock it.

My front diff. is spooled ($150.00) with lock outs.

15. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Not realy. Every fall I have to service and/or replace the wheel bearings and spindle bearings after a summer of mud and water anyway. With spindles off it's not much extra work to pull the axle shafts and diff cover. This is also a good opertunity to inspect/replace u-joints and change the gear oil.

16. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Okay,

Why hasn't anyone suggested a Power-Lok? It is the most aggressive limited slip out there and will work fine in the snow and give extra bite in the MUD. I put one in my 83 K10's Dana 60 for the same concern of getting into snow/ice. Locked up front in heavy rain, let alone snow and ice can be hazardous. I'd go with a Power-Lok. Good price, easy install, great traction and good all around for the D60 on parts.

JMHO or .03 at the current rate of inflation.

Manny

17. onetonbb74

Powerlok traction carriers are expensive brand new. Unless you get it used, they are pricy especially 35 spline units for a d60. A big upside to them is the rebuild kits that make them rebuildable when the clutches go then again thats another 100 dollars but hey, you cant get a rebuld kit for most posi's. My friend has one in his ramcharger with the big sx's and he rebuilds it every couple years. Ive driven in snow with front and rear lockrite lockers, and it turns ok but your going slow anyways really didn't have any problems definately didnt feel like a brand new truck or anything of that matter.

18. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Oneton,

You're exactly right but they are worth their weight.

Manny