Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Locker Questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grafixxman, Aug 29, 2005.

1. grafixxman

grafixxman Registered Member

I am almost to the point of installing my ilft and 60/14 combo. It is my daily driven truck for now. The 60/14 came out of a M-1008, so the rear has a Detroit. I am entertaining the idea of installing a front locker in the 60. Until I can get something else to drive ( ie: 30+mpg. little car ), this is my daily driver. With that being said...

How do front lockers work on the street? Do they drive ok? In my best guesstimate...they would be no different as long as the hubs are unlocked. It shouldn't make a difference...at least to me. Am I wrong?

What about when the hubs are locked...can you still turn/steer...and can you do so without some sort of hydraulic assist? I cannot throw a bunch of money at this truck, so I want to do what is necessary. I am not a rock crawler. I live in Ky., mostly mud and trails here.

Am I wrong for even considering a front locker on something daily driven? I am not considering an ARB...way too much cake. I was thinking about a Powertrak ( ??? ). Is it even needed for the kind of wheeling I will be doing? It is a stock Dana 60 out of a M-1008...so will I have to worry about breaking axels or anything of that nature?

Here is what I will have in detail:

1987 K1500
    383 ( ported steel heads, 9.4:1 )
    small hyd. flat tappet cam (208 @ 0.50, .446 lift, 108 lobe center )
    700R4/208 for now...but I got the 400/208 combo out of the military truck and will be installing it after the truck is up and running after the lift, etc.
    35x14.50x16.5 boggers on 16.5x12 Alum wheels.
    Cold-ass A/C...and shi$%y gas mileage...LOL

Being new to the 4wheeling craze/way of life...I am trying to get my ducks in a row and learn from other people's mistakes. Now before you tell me Boggers aren't the way to go on the street...Trust me, I already know. I couldn't afford to pass up the deal though...stole them off of e-gay. I will be switching to a set of 38 something-or-others after the Boggers are done.

I certainly appreciate any and all responses. I am sorry if the repost police get me...but be gentle.

If any of ya;ll have questions about custom t-shirts...now thats where I can help. :D

Thanks in advance...

Tyler
    Clarkcustomgrafx@aol.com

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I currently have a 60/14 combo detroit locked at both ends. If you plan to drive it with the front locked on pavement don't plan on turning at all. :eek: I am someday going to get an ARB for the 60 so that i can still drive on pavement in the snow when i go to the mountains. With both ends locked you just cannot turn while on pavement, however when i take it off road on the dirt you cannot stop it from going anywhere you want. :thumb:

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

being unlocked on the street you will not know the locker is there.if you ever have to put it in 4x wheel drive you will be in trouble on the road.the truck will want to drive strait forward even if the wheels are at full lock.the automatically unlock if no power is applied to the axle.but unless you arte going 5 mph around corners in 4 wheel drive it is hard to turn.if you dont neeed 4 whjeel on the road then dont worry about the adverse affects of having a locker.if i were you and i would just wheel and drive around with the rear locker for a while and see how you like it.even with the locker in the rear you will get some wheelhop if you are on the gas around corners.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have a detroit in the front I wouldn't really say steering is as bad as people say (yes, I play in the rocks/slickrock ALL the time). I plan on going to go to hydro assist soon, but having a front locker (ARB or Detroit) will keep you from turning when you are bound up in the rocks (assuming the ARB is engaged) and you will wish you had hydro assist with either.

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Keep the hubs unlocked and you turn just fine on the street, like it wasn't even there. with the hubs engaged, on road = no turn, offroad = will turn if rolling, but you have to work out your arms a bit if no hydro assist. all in all, Frt/Rr locked up = unstopable traction, and the only way to go IMO

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

agreed.... locked is sweet... unlocked on street.. and when offroad.. lock both.. I tried just one locked..and punched the throttle.. truck jerked and almost hit a tree :doah:

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With locking front hubs and a non full time transfer case of the street you front axles are disconnected from anything hence no problem on the street. I run in four wheel drive with mine on icy roads (no dry pavement anywhere) you cannot apply throttle while you are turning the wheels and you better practice in a wide open space before you do so. Off road without hydro assist sitting there it is very hard to turn the tires but moving its no problem. I may have some different veiw than alot of other people here as I ran a sami for years locked up f and r and no ps and had no complaints