Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ziagong, Apr 11, 2000.

1. ziagong

ziagong Registered Member

What's the best locker for the front Diff. (besides the Detroit) with out the worry of hwy use. (I have locking hubs) I have a Auburn for the rear, and I mostly use it for mud.

1972 K5 CST Blazer - 350V8 17x40x15
    Made for Mud!

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I like the ARB for front use because you can turn it off completely for the highway. I had one in the rear diff when I ran a 10bolt and blew it apart, but they are fine to run in the front, I have a Detroit in my full floater 14bolt rear now.

Steve

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Any locker in the front will give you crazy steering issues, except for the ARB. If you don't plan on putting a loker inplace of your Auburn unit then you may want to stick with another tight posi for the front as well. I have done a little shopin around for the front D44 on my 72K5 and when the funds are there I will be getting a Power-Lok posi unit for the front. I have one in the D60 rear on my rig and it is very tight and spins both tires very well.
    It is also rebuildable another plus. The lowest price is at:
    http://www.differentials.com/javaindex.htm
    good luck[​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

4. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

If you don't use the 4wd on the highway, the detroit locker is the best bet. I have seen ARB's blown apart with high revs that mudders use. It also has a compressor that is prone to malfunction. From what I've seen they are fine if you rarely needed a locker. I say buy the detroit and learn to drive it.

5. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I agree go with a Detroit and never have to worry about it. If you have manual hubs driving on the highway is not a concern. A Lockright does nothing for strengthening the carrier. My second choice would be a True-trac, I've seen these on vehicles and they turn both tires most of the time.
    CB

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I also have an Auburn in my rear 12 bolt. In the D44 front my choice was the True-Trac. With a little torque both the front wheels will spin together. The only thing is to have manual hubs or you won't be able to turn it on the highway ( I forgot one time to unlock and had a heck of a time on the highway and had to pull over to unlock so I could steer). Good luck on your choice.

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

7. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

ARb are great but when wheeling, I have had friends stranded because the airline broke off or was torn off, electrical shorted out the compressor(no way to engage it) and some of my buddies are high horse mud machines they have blown them to pieces. I would go with a light duti posi or maybe a lock right. Depdog has one for sale. I can;t remember what it fits.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com