Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by plk33, May 15, 2001.

1. plk33

plk33 Registered Member

I have an 87 1/2 ton Suburban and am interested in putting a Lock-Right in the front axle. I live in snow country, so I dont want one in the back. I only run the front end in really muddy situations off road or to get unstuck or pull away from a slippery intersection in the winter. I drive around town most of the winter with the hubs locked in, but in 2wd. Will a front locker affect the truck when the hubs are locked in but the transfer case is in 2wd?

2. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

with the weight and lenght of a sub definatly put the locker in the rear, you should have no probs on snow or ice, yes the truck WILL steer funny w/the hubs locked in in two or four at the case, and be a bitch to steer on snow and ice.

3. plk33

plk33 Registered Member

I thought a locker would only lock if there was power going to the axle and that because of this it would not lock when the front hubs are turned in, but the transfere case is in 2wd, i.e. there would be no effect on the steering in 2wd with the hubs locked in.

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

and now you know better

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

no a locker will lock ALL the time on accelleration and decceleration the only time it will disengage is right in between, and when extreme pressure is applied, sounds like your thinking of a limited slip, thats what i have in my 1990k5 up front (auburn pro posi) and it even being just a limited slip, takes a little bit of talent to drive in the snow when the hubs are locked in, in four or two wheel drive.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Unlocked and in 2wd the front diff and axles do not spin, correct everyone?
    plk, you are keeping the hubs locked for quick 4wd engagement? This cause the wheels to drive the axles....
    Even in open diifs the steering is affected when hubs are engaged.

7. plk33

plk33 Registered Member

Right, I drive around town in the winter with the hubs locked in and "shift on the fly" the few times I need 4wd. If I go any significant distance, I unlock the hubs. I was under the impresion that if you coast around a corner with a locker it remains unlocked and that it only locks when under power and that was the problem with lockers "clunking" in a turn when you enter it braking and exit accelerating. That is why I thought the locker would remain unlocked with the truck in 2wd with the hubs locked in. I would agree that there is a negligible effect on the steering doing what I do now with the open diff due to the friction of turing the front diff and drive shaft. I really cant feel it, but it is there.